Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #1 
Toby1333

Ick, bacteria, fungus?

Hello! I've had my first betta for about a year now. He has recently (yesterday) started getting these white spots on about half of his body.Today it spread a little. I placed him a one gallon tank with rocks only so that i could treat him. At first I thought it was a fungus but after research, it might be ick. If anyone knows what this is and how to treat it I would greatly appreciate your help! I don't want to lose him!
Attached Images

Toby1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #2 
Betta Rescuer

Hello there!It sounds like it may be ick.Is he rubbing along the rocks/tank?or darting around every now and then?If so then it's ick.I would suggest getting some aquarium salt for him(not hunan salt!)Aquarium salt should help him recovery as the salt helps the fish stay healthy and it should help greatly with the white spots on his body(ice or fungus-salt benefits both,especially external problems on a fish.)Try treating him by thus route first as it can't harm him(follow instructions on back of packet)and continue to monitor his symptoms.If he starts to refuse to eat or other life threatening symptoms appear(rapid and deep breathing)then I would go the route of meds.You probably should do more research though on what he may have.Try looking up salt baths for Bettas too(It requires the aquarium salt)That may help.(I personally haven't tried that technique,but have heard it helps with fungus and other exterior problems.Be certain you have a good site that is of proper instruction-as their are some warnings to salt bathes-> Betta can go unconscious if left to long in salt bath!)Good luck to you and your little guy!I hope I was of some help!
Betta Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #3 
Toby1333

Thank you so much for your help! He doesn't dart around he mostly has been sitting at the bottom of his tank here lately. I'll defiantly try the aquarium salt and salt baths before the medication route, Thanks again for your advice! I hope my buddy gets better!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #4 
Betta Rescuer

Your welcome!I'm glad to help your little guyI love my Bettas a lot and understand how it can be stressful when they are feeling under the weather.Just let me know if you need any more advice!I hope he gets better soon!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #5 
Toby1333

Bad news, the little guy has fin rot! I did a 100% water change and added 1/2 a teaspoon of aquarium salt to 1 gallon of water (this is what the package indicated to "promote recovery from fish diseases") the temperature in the tank is about 82 degrees. The spots I was talking about before are gone and I'm just concerned about his fins. If you don't mind me asking, how long can I keep him in a tank with this aquarium salt and how often do I do water changes. The websites I've looked at say 100% daily water changes and no more than 10 days in salted water because it could hurt his kidneys. Hopefully I won't need anymore advice and he'll start to heal. Thanks for the support. (:
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

If those white dots fuzzy , fluffy cottony like patches it bacterial/fungal infection.
If just white dots looks like he sprinkled with salt-ick
Did you also see him trying to scratch against the objects?(heater, gravel, decor..)
I really think it ick.
Do you have a heater? Can you raise the temp slowly up to about 84*. Just make sure slowly about 1-2*in an hour? The temperature will help to speed up the parasites cycle , they will die naturally .
Go buy aquarium salt as soon as you can. Pre mix 3tsp/gall. Make sure it dissolved before you add it in his hospital tank.Just stir it around or more the in circular motions until you don't see crystals. Do 100% daily water changes. Make sure you acclimate him really slowly to the new water. Do you need instructions on acclimation?
Rinse with hot water and completed dry out after each uses all equipment that you are using to change him it will kill parasites. His main tank also you can just rinse everything with hot water and just let it sit in the sun or just air dry for a week or two. Make sure you put the gravel so it don't touch each other and completely dry out. It will kill any parasites.
Aquarium salt you can use up to 13 days. Do daily water changes.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Sorry didn't see your last response. The spots may be gone because you have right temp for ick to die and also you did 100% water temperature.
Now 1/2 the dose that the box recommending is not therapeutic dose , it just for preventative care.
If he had those white spots i would think he really has ick and you need to treat him do not stop the salt and use full dose of it.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #8 
Betta Rescuer

Oh I'm so glad that the white spots are gone!That salt really Doed work wonders!Ok well fin rot for starters is not the worst a Betta can get.Every Betta gets it at least once in their lifetime.All my rescues had bad cases of fin rot.As male Bettas have dangling fins,Thierry more suseptible to it as their fins often get exposed to waste or tear on plants and therefore get fin rot.Gin rot isn't deadly unless left untreated because it can spread to the rest o their body and attack their skin/later organs.But luckily,in my experience,fin rot is easy to treat with the right tools.Here's my advice:
1-continue with the salt by following instructions on label.Do a 100% water change to make sure you start treating with clean water.
~(oh and salt should cause any harm to Bettas as it's only beneficial tot hem with no harmful side effects.Therefore the kidneys shooing be harmed.I treated one of my rescues who had terrible fin rot to where he had no front fins or any at all barely and couldn't swim!-I treated him by using salt and median for his other problems he had;he now has reached the grand age of 3.
2-if you see waste at any time in his tank/bowl,try to get it out.(tip I use-use long straw,bend it at the tip tightly,and while bending it and holding it still-put it in his tank and hover over the poop,then let go of bent bit and the poop should suck up into straw,but quickly bend it again once the waste goes into straw otherwise it will fall out.-just a trick I use if I don't have cleaning tubes on hand that I use to clean my fish.)
3-If he doesn't show improvement within 5-10 days I would get the medicine called Jungle fungus clear.-it's for fungus and treats fin rot(as fin rot is a result of bacteria that are mainly fungus related.Or you could simply find a medicine that's for fin rot at our pet store.-I personally have use the Jungle fish products and they treated my fish that I mentioned and it worked quite well.
NOTE:Just be sure that the salt your using says it mixes with medicine-in some case like my salt I have,it mentions a certain brand that's safe to use with the salt and I would suggest going with that; no hassle in that case.
Good luck!And feel free to ask any more questions or advice that you may have over the next few days of his treatment
Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #9 
Toby1333

Betta Rescuer, you are the best! I'll continue with the salt and use your straw trick! My salt package says it works with jungle medication treatments so if he doesn't start to improve ill make sure to get some jungle. Thanks for the advice! :)
Old 05-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi! Sounds like you're on the right track for treating your guy's ich, but I would "tweak" some of what you're doing, so the treatment is more effective. First, I'll discuss the ich, then we'll tackle how to treat the fin rot.

There's a great sticky in this forum about treating ich. (Click for the link.) It says:
"You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water. "

So you want to:
1) Raise the temperature in your tank to 85F.
2) Increase the aquarium salt dosage to 3 teaspoons per gallon. (As ANHEL123 pointed out, the package directions give "therapeutic dosages" but you need a higher dosage right now to treat the parasite.)
3) Do daily 100% water changes, using 3 teaspoons aquarium salt per gallon, in order to remove all fallen parasites.

Do NOT use aquarium salt for more than 14 days maxiumum! Aquarium salt contains sodium, which stresses the kidneys. Using too much, or for too long a period of time can cause fluid retention, bloating, buoyancy issues, and eventually, kidney failure!

If at any time, it looks like he's starting to become bloated, or having trouble with his buoyancy, stop the aquarium salt. Let us know if this happens, as there are ways to treat it quickly and safely. However, aquarium salt is excellent at treating external issues like ich and fin rot.

Ich is caused by a parasite called (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis). Fin rot, on the other hand, is usually caused by a gram negative bacterial infection. The good news is that aquarium salt has an antimicrobial effect, and will hopefully be enough to treat the rot, too. If it doesn't, you can use an antibiotic that targets gram negative bacteria, but I don't think you need it yet. Hopefully, the aquarium salt and frequent water changes will treat the rot.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-22-2013 at 12:10 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote