Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #1 
lilliam

betta care over the summer

I have to go away for 5 weeks in the summer, and I need to find someone to take care of my fish. I have two male bettas, Captain and bruce, and I went away for three days and left my family clear instructions on how to feed them, and measured out all the food in little daily pill organizer things. My mother didn't even have to do a water change, but I come back and there's about 2 weeks worth of food rotting on the bottom of both their tanks, the water is green, they both have stress stripes and poor Bruce's fins are all torn and you can see the fin rays (I think thats what they're called...). :( I changed their water right away and they're doing better in warm clean water, but my family won't be able to take care of them for five weeks. I don't really have any options other than my girlfriend's sister's friend who had a betta fish... but her mother killed it. My friends are all going with me for this trip, and my sister is going to be at camps too. I don't know what to do... does anyone have any suggestions? My parents say I should give my fish away and buy new ones when I get back but there's no way I'm getting rid of my boys :(
No one even pet sits fish.. do they? Are there businesses that pet sit fish? Mostly it's just cats and dogs.
And, would it be better to leave them in their separate 2 gallon tanks, or put them in the big divided aquarium I have if I give them to someone to fish sit?
:) It's ok if no one really knows what to do, but If anyone has any ideas that would be great! (mostly I want to know what would be better, 2 small separate tanks or 1 big divided tank) I'm worried about whoever would take care of them doing regular water changes.
lilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #2 
Jexx

Depending on where you are in canada, there is a lady listed on kijiji who will watch your betta for you in her home while you are away. She is a breeder so she is well familiar with betta care. but she only works in the GTA. Check your local kijiji listings. you may find someone that way!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Where in Canada are you?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #4 
lilliam

I live in nova Scotia, and I'll be in Quebec for all of July. Thanks for the suggestion of checking minimize. I forgot all about that :) ill go have a look and see if there's any fish sitters of some sort :)
lilliam is offline   Reply With Quote