Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #1 
redwatson

Am I crazy????

Hi, I'm a 37yr old man and am actually new to having a pet fish, being they are cold and slimy never really classified them as a pet at least not like a dog or cat or something furry. Anyway, I bought a crowntail mail beta, he's a pretty blue(my fav color) and a couple of females, cause I fihured I could put them together, I know about males together but didnt about females and males, at any rate, after researching and finding out Ricco now has his own tank, 10gal. to be exact as it was the same price at walmart as the dang one gal. bowls, so I got it and a couple of cool toys for him and he seems to love them, he's always messing in his sunken ship, but lately I find myself standing and gazing at his beauty and (gasp) talking to him, sometimes it almost seems like he recognizes my voice and comes and listens, so am I being crazy for talking to a fish or are there actually other people out there that do this :)
redwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #2 
kritas

Nah, your not crazy, I've heard people talking to their fish too. I think it's pretty funny, because they can't hear you when they're underwater, its just a fuzzy sound to them. You have caught the same disease we all suffer on these forums. Why do you think we are all aquariasts? Fish are stunning creatures, and even they they don't have the interactivity'of a dog or cat, they are still IMHO, much more beautiful...

Happy fish keeping:)
kritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #3 
Zaggytiddies

Nope not crazy... I just got three bettas about 3 weeks ago and I love them :D I talk to them all the time and they most certainly know when I'm around the cage. Good luck with your beautiful guy :D
Zaggytiddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #4 

nope not crazy. I'm 52 and male and i talk to my fish all the time.cuss em too sometimes.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I talk to mine, too. Sometimes they will sit there and look at you as if they understand everything you say to them. I swear that my female recognizes the ziploc bag I keep their food in and goes straight to the top and waits to be fed when she sees me pick it up!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #6 
Haeclark

Quote:
Sometimes they will sit there and look at you as if they understand everything you say to them
lol! :D
I told Blue last night to get better, and I'd buy him a sorority of females [not to be put directly with him]...he seemed to get a bit perked up, and started doing his little head bob dance [where he moves his head from left to right, eagerly]
Blue top recognizes my feeding methods for him...I have a wood stick I cleaned to use to grab single blood worms with wet tip...then I hold the tip about a 1/2 inch away from water surface...Blue jumps and eats worm :D He now knows what that stick is...and when he sees it...eagerly swims to top / feeding area, and waits impatiently XD If I move the stick too close to his tan, he'll try to "eat" the stick there the glass! lol :D

They're definitely entertaining, and a joy to your heart :D
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Haeclark, I thought that was hilarious that you promised Blue a sorority of females if he got better, and then he perked up! When my little Buddy was dying, he stayed at the bottom of his bowl and didn't move. Whenever I would check on him, I would talk to him and his little caudal fins would barely move, as if he was acknowledging me. He acted as if he knew that I was checking on him. I think that just because they are fish doesn't mean that they are stupid.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #8 
Kim

I talk to my fish all the time. Mostly my betta though, he just seems so interested in me :D . I don't think it's crazy, they can hear certain sounds (sound travels better through water than air anyway) and it must be entertaining.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

They are very curious and enjoy watching what goes on around them.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #10 
zerlinafish

Guilty of talking to my 2 boys too (2 separate tanks). LOL! So is my husband. He loves to talk to them...and they seem to respond to the sound. We also talk to our cats.

You are among like minded crazies here

z-fish
zerlinafish is offline   Reply With Quote