Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

How do you "debug" a baby betta?

Since you all work with the babies. I thought maybe I'd ask here what is best to debug.
I have aquired a pink and yellow baby female for 99 cents she is less than an inch long that I know has been exposed to what I assume is ick there were white linty looking things swimming in her cup. She surfaces quite a bit so she probably has other issues. I was tired of seeing her suffer at Petsmart. She's had weeks in dirty water. I hope she ends up thriving but I don't know how to treat her for ich or parasites. This particular Petsmart dumps bettas into the dirty water during water changes and they half fill a cup with clean water and scoop the fish up again.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Try clean, warm water first... If that doesn't work I would try the conservative methods like aq/ep salt or high temps before going to meds...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

You can only see ich I am pretty sure when it is on the fish. You can't see the parasite when it is in the water looking for a host.

Could be that the white linty things are just debris, or planaria/detritus worms.

If she had ich, it would look like salt is sprinkled over her actual body. Velvet looks like dust over the scales.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
Since you all work with the babies. I thought maybe I'd ask here what is best to debug.
I have aquired a pink and yellow baby female for 99 cents she is less than an inch long that I know has been exposed to what I assume is ick there were white linty looking things swimming in her cup. She surfaces quite a bit so she probably has other issues. I was tired of seeing her suffer at Petsmart. She's had weeks in dirty water. I hope she ends up thriving but I don't know how to treat her for ich or parasites. This particular Petsmart dumps bettas into the dirty water during water changes and they half fill a cup with clean water and scoop the fish up again.
You won't see ich swimming in the cup - it was likely planaria?

Bettas surface often because they augment their gills oxygen uptake with atmospheric oxygen.

A fish can carry ich in the gills without showing spots on the body. An otherwise healthy fishs immune system can keep the infestation at a low level, for a fairly long time. It's only when the fishs immune system is depressed, such as when it's stressed, that the fish loses the upper hand. That is when the infestation spreads to the rest of the fish, and it "magically" appears.

It is wise to want to make sure that your fish is not carrying parasites, because it is not always easy to tell at first. I treat all my new fish for parasites while they are in quarantine. First they get a 2 week heat treatment for ich (2 weeks at 88 - no salt), then they get a prazipro treatment for internals. Then they spend at least another 2 weeks being observed.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I agree with treating fish for internal parasites (assume that is what you meant by parasites Jaysee) while they are in quarantine. Especially if a particular fish looks emaciated or has a poor appetite.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

I have another older fish from the same store and even though I have done two rounds of prazipro (he has parasites) and several water changes I still see the white things in the water. I am sure it's not lint. They are in hospital tanks away from my other fish with no substrate. Since I am spacing their care far apart from the other fish I figured it must be something on them. I will try some AQ salt at least on the older one and see if they disappear.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 05-21-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

One should only be buying healthy looking fish - it's best not to buy emaciated fish.

Prazipro does not take care of every type of internal parasite. The really stubborn ones require a different kind of med, such as levamisole. It is not offered as a fish med though, so it's a little tricky to work with. It's most readily available as a bird medicine, and is administered by adding it to their drinking water, so it works well with fish. The medicine works by paralyzingly the parasite, not killing it. Because the fish passes the live parasite, vacuums must be done to remove them.

I'm not saying all that because I think that's what you need to do, just making you aware of the information. Any chance you can get pictured of what you are talking about?

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

My goal at this point is to do a protocal like you mention with all my new fish. I really believe since it's alreay known that pet stores do a poor job caring for them and they are exposed to all sorts of things. I think treating for parasites internal and external is a really good idea. I have started isolating for 30 days.

Almost all fish have thier own five gallons tanks. A couple are in two gallons. However, the tanks touch each other so there is potential for accidental drips. I use one gallons for quarantine since the water must be changed really often.

The female might have been skinny I am not sure because I don't have experience with babies. However, she has already started growing longer and
filling out. The male plaket who is maybe a 4 months old was not emaciated but I could tell from his feces that he had parasites. The 3rd which is now in my avatar also had the same appearance in his feces. Since they all came from the same store and they likely have the same issues I want to follow the same protocal for all of them. Since they are small due to age and I use 1 gallons I am interested dosages so I don't overdose them. I've read about levamisole before. Do you use it as part of your pre-treatment protocol or in very limited circumstances?

As for the white things today I don't see any swimming in the tank today but the male plaket now has something small brown and fuzzy looking attached to him near his dorsal fin.