Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #1 
Shiverdam

Some Halfmoon Help.

My boyfriend's halfmoon, Enigma, has fins so overgrown and huge that they weigh him down and make him lean over when he rests. He has a hard time swimming and always looks exhausted when he comes to a stop after simply going from one end of the tank to the other. He lives in a filtered and heated 2.5 gallon with live plants.
Is there anything we can do to help him? He's always had a hard time swimming since his fins grew tremendously. I've heard of fin cutting before, but we're both too nervous to do it.

Last edited by Shiverdam; 05-21-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #2 
10asartin

I wouldn't recommend fin trimming. Is there any way you can post a picture of him?
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #3 
Laki

Don't cut his fins.

For a 2.5 g there's really no need for a filter unless you'r trying to keep a cycle. So I would just turn that off and commence with the weekly cleaning. The filter is probably pushing an underwater current and it's making it difficult for him to swim.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #4 
logisticsguy

Oh my do not cut his fins please that is the last thing he needs. I have a few HM with enormous fins and yes it can slow them down a little but not much. Could you post a pic? I think he may have something else going on causing him to be tired and not swimming well.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #5 
xjenuhfur

Removing the filter and just continuing regular water changes will probably be enough.
Fin cutting is almost always unnecessary. Even my veiltail has problems swimming in a filtered tank because his fins get heavy for him. (:
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

Personally, I do not like unfiltered/uncycled tanks; just not my cup of tea. So, barring some physical problem, I would baffle the filter.

My HMs had trouble with the filter that came with my tank so I switched over to Tom Internal filters and directed the wands to the back of the tank. Even on "high" the current is extremely mild and doesnt bother my HMs. I love these filters and so, apparently, do Willie and Si.

You might find them cheaper somewhere else.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Inter...quarium+filter

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 05-21-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: PS: High filters the most gallons per hour.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Since you said the tank has live plants, I don't think a filter is really necessary at all, although I do agree with Russell. Live plants are filters as well, let's not forget.

Some have issues holding a steady cycle in that tank size, but keeping ammonia down with live plants is pretty simple in almost every tank size.

I personally think that a 2.5 is a nice size for a heavy-finned male. Many do better in smaller volume tanks. I'd make sure you've got some fast growing plants but also make sure the tank isn't too heavily decorated. It seems the heavy-finned ones sometimes prefer less decor over more. This is probably because they have less stuff to navigate through when they are swimming.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #8 
smaughunter

My boy Nebula has huge fins too. I keep him in an unfiltered tank. I agree that going unfiltered or at least baffling the filter is the way to go. I doubt Neb could tolerate any current. He is definitely my slowest and least active betta but it sure is a pleasure to watch him swim around, his big fins slowly swirling around him. And he is almost as fast as the plakats when it's dinner time!
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Even if you trim his fins they are just going to grow back and probably be just as full as before.

A sponge filter on low is one of the gentlest filters you could find. If you definitely want to have a filter in the tank, you could always use one of these instead. If your tank is cycled now, attaching the existing filter media to the sponge filter should help maintain your cycle.

You mention live plants, what kind of plants have you got in there? Personally, I would look into taller/floating plants that offer places of rest for your male up near the surface.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the downside to selectively breeding for bigger and bigger fins.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Baffle the filter as much as possible before you try removing it and thus destroying your cycle. Along with slowing down the current, try providing lots of resting places near the top of the tank.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote