Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #1 
Graceful

Please help me identify these snails

I bought a new plant for my betta's tank (I can't remember what it's called) and apparently it brought a few hitchhikers. Three, to be exact, unless there are more that I can't see.

Isn't that a great picture? :) Anyway, these guys are very small - about the size of a pea, if not smaller. They are also quite fast, for a snail. They've been traveling all over!

I am hoping they are beneficial to my tank (eg, not ramshorns or poop machine apple snails). I don't want to kill them. And if they are not beneficial, can I release them safely in a creek?
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

If this appears twice I apologize. I thought I hit "Post Quick Reply" but maybe not.

I don't think you can legally release them in Califorina; especially if they're pond snails. They are an invasive species and can harm the natural balance.

You can get an Assassin snail and it will take care of them. I've only had mine a couple of weeks and they've already made an impact on pond snail numbers in my tank. Don't know if you can have them with the Nerite or not. The only other alternative is to destroy them yourself.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #3 
djembekah

That's a ramshorn snail. they are asexual, so they can reproduce alone. But you can control that by not overfeeding. what size tank is it?

I personally love my ramshorns. Actually I love all my snails. ramshorns are good for cleaning extra food up and algae. personally, i ink you've go nothing to worry about. Like i said, be careful of feeding and you should b fine

they will be fine with a nerite

ps: that pic is AMAZING! Enter it kn TFK's next photo contest for sure!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #4 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
That's a ramshorn snail. they are asexual, so they can reproduce alone. But you can control that by not overfeeding. what size tank is it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, crap, I was really hoping they weren't ramshorns.

What do you mean by overfeeding? You don't feed snails, right? Don't they just feed off of algae/waste?

Oh, and it's a 10-gallon.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #5 
SnowySurface

Depends.

I brought 1 nitrite snail per tank because I had a bad algae problem. I didn't have to feed them as long as algae grew on the walls of my tank. But now that the snails have erradicated all the algae in my tank, I have to feed them algae waffers once a week. As long as you have waste/algae for them to eat, you are good. Once you run out of both you have to feed them.

On the bright side, my tank walls have never been cleaner. :D
SnowySurface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #6 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful View Post
Well, crap, I was really hoping they weren't ramshorns.

What do you mean by overfeeding? You don't feed snails, right? Don't they just feed off of algae/waste?

Oh, and it's a 10-gallon.
Aw why not? ramshorns aren't that bad. Of all the "pest" snails, they're my second favorite. I keep quite a few of them in mason jars. c:

Quick tidbit though, they're actually *not* asexual. They are, however, hermaphroditic meaning that all you need is two snails (and sometimes one if that snail had been previously fertilized, which is where the asexual thing stems from) to make hundreds. But as djembekah pointed out, you can definitely control that by not overfeeding. By that, she means don't add any supplemental feedings unless they run out of things to eat in your fish tank, which in this case would be algae and decaying plant matter.

Overall I think they're pretty nifty little things but to each their own. If you don't want it, destroy it since it's illegal to release them into the wild.
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #7 
Graceful

Well, I certainly don't want to kill the little guys, and since releasing them into a creek is out of the picture, I guess I'll just keep them. :) Thank you for your input, everyone!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

You might take them to a pet store and see if they'll give you credit for them. Won't hurt to ask.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #9 
djembekah

Oh okay. thanks Ravyne!!!

Well, you CAN overfeed your fish. and therefore the snails can eat the leftovers and reproduce plenty.

i think you'd be fine leaving them in BUT that's a personal choice obviously. you could try what Russell suggested
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #10 
peachii

We've purchased so many plants lately and had a few hitchhikers as well. After a few months, I've had to completely re-do my 10 gallon tanks because they infested both so badly they took over the tank. One tank had upwards of 300 snails in it when i cleaned it out - no over feeding but it was a heavily planted tank so i guess they didn't need any other food. It was awful. We've gotten some assassin snails to help with them but even in my new red cherry shrimp tank that we tried to be so very careful not to put snails in, they are now popping up all over the plants and I've yet to see a big one just tiny ones.

I love the assassin snails but the trumpet and pond snails - do not like them at all.

I may like a snail that doesn't reproduce so much, but not sure what other kinds that would be.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
identify, mystery snail, snail