Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #1 
Deanna01

If I were to consider breeding...

I would honestly devote myself to serious research for at least several months first and ensure I had everything I needed. But if I did consider giving it a go, how do you think these two blue-eyed green monsters would do?

Attached Images

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The female has folded caudal rays - not sure whether that's genetic (don't know history). Top line is rather funny but doesn't seem to be that bad. Other than that, they look good to go.

Just be careful; the male has excessive rays while the female is DT. Try not to breed the roses they may produce.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #3 
Riverotter

I would think with those 2 colors you'd get a lot of multis. They are very pretty, but very common, therefore not as much in demand.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #4 
Deanna01

I love the notion of getting some rosetails, but I didn't realize they shouldn't be bred if I get any. Thank you!

I went ahead and bought the girl; I think she's gorgeous anyway. Should I learn enough in the next six months or so, I will consider breeding them.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #5 
Deanna01

What I would actually like to do with these two, if possible, is primarily try to get blue-eyed monsters. I would prefer to focus on that rather than on a particular color or tail type.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It's not that you can't breed rosetails. But since you are just beginning to breed, its best to avoid them for now because they carry deformed genes which could destroy your line. And once it gets into your line it will be hard to totally clean it out. Perhaps later, when you get the hang of it all.

What ever goal or plan is personal preference/availability, but are important to set before breeding. Just remember to be responsible and most important HAVE FUN.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #7 
Riverotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
What I would actually like to do with these two, if possible, is primarily try to get blue-eyed monsters. I would prefer to focus on that rather than on a particular color or tail type.
Well, happily, bettas don't suffer much from inbreeding till you're several generations in. So if you were to take the very best of this spawn, and breed the ones most like the male back to him, and the ones most like the female back to her, you could get two lines going (and a good percentage of blue-eyed monsters) and then be able to cross the lines back together.

;) look for a complimentary blue-eyed monster every 3rd generation and you're on your way!
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #8 
Deanna01

Exciting! Thanks!