Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #1 
Hoshiko

Help me diagnose fin rot?

A couple of days ago I posted about Orpheus's ammonia problems. I am changing his water every other day up to 70% to see if helps. Unfortunately right now I'm confused as I am just not sure if he has fin rot. The first picture here is from when I got him, you can see no fin rot here, but I think he also seems very tiny to tell. In the second picture was a few weeks after, I was struggling with his 1 gallon because I was waiting for his bigger house to arrive so I think he developed some fin rot at this point, notice the location the black patches that he has. The third picture is from right now, he keeps getting more and more active so it's harder to get better pictures of him. As you can see he has no more black patches on his fins, but they also look a little bit more curly and dispersed (not exactly shredded)

Can you please help me diagnose? And recommend a treatment? I feel that using Tetra AquaSafe could be bad for him as I've never heard of anyone using it. Thank you.
Hoshiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #2 
Hoshiko

I'm not sure if it's okay to bump threads in this forum ^^UU
Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey there, yes it's alright to bump threads :)

I love that second picture you have of him. But by judging from his last picture he does have fin rot at the points. However the curling fins is due to poor water parameters which is kind of expected in a small tank. But they can straighten out later once you upgrade him, it's just going to take a while.

To treat for fin rot:
  • Get some Aquarium salt and measure out 1 teaspoon per gallon. So if he's in a 1 gallon, use 1 teaspoon.
  • Do a 100% water change first, take him out and place him in a small cup or something. (I keep my Petco/Petsmart cups for this)
  • When you add in new water, measure out your 1 teaspoon of AQ salt and dissolve it before you put it into the new water. Make sure to use conditioner.
  • Acclimate your boy to his new water (if it's possible to float him, do that and add a tablespoon of his new water to his cup, about 1 tablespoon every 5-8 minutes for 20-30 minutes. And then you can add your boy in.
  • Change water 100% everyday and repeat the above steps.

Do not use AQ salt for more than 14 days, generally I treat rot for about a week or until you see the black go away. <--usually happens around a week but can last longer. Also make sure to take out uneaten food.

After the rot is gone, get some Stress Coat. It's a conditioner with the healing power of aloe! This will help heal up those tears and shreds in your boy's fins! It's a conditioner in and of itself so you don't need to use your regular conditioner with it, just follow the directions on the back. You can use stress coat anytime, there's no limit to it which is great :D

I hope this helps and your boy get's better soon!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #4 
Hoshiko

Hey! Thank you for your reply. The curling of fins actually happened after I upgraded him to a 2.5g. I was wondering if the conditioner I use wasn't very good. I guess I just need to make his water changes more frequently in general so that he doesn't get that anymore.
However, for treating his fin rot (thank you for diagnosing that so confidently, I couldn't see it very well at all, I don't have much experience with bettas) I am wondering what I should do with his tank stuff. Should I remove the substrate, decorations, and his marimo ball? Should I turn off the filter? Thank you in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Hey there, yes it's alright to bump threads :)

I love that second picture you have of him. But by judging from his last picture he does have fin rot at the points. However the curling fins is due to poor water parameters which is kind of expected in a small tank. But they can straighten out later once you upgrade him, it's just going to take a while.

Also, do you think I should change my Tetra AquaSafe water conditioner to a stress coat from now on? Do you have a brand you recommend?

Sorry for so many questions .-.U

To treat for fin rot:
  • Get some Aquarium salt and measure out 1 teaspoon per gallon. So if he's in a 1 gallon, use 1 teaspoon.
  • Do a 100% water change first, take him out and place him in a small cup or something. (I keep my Petco/Petsmart cups for this)
  • When you add in new water, measure out your 1 teaspoon of AQ salt and dissolve it before you put it into the new water. Make sure to use conditioner.
  • Acclimate your boy to his new water (if it's possible to float him, do that and add a tablespoon of his new water to his cup, about 1 tablespoon every 5-8 minutes for 20-30 minutes. And then you can add your boy in.
  • Change water 100% everyday and repeat the above steps.

Do not use AQ salt for more than 14 days, generally I treat rot for about a week or until you see the black go away. <--usually happens around a week but can last longer. Also make sure to take out uneaten food.

After the rot is gone, get some Stress Coat. It's a conditioner with the healing power of aloe! This will help heal up those tears and shreds in your boy's fins! It's a conditioner in and of itself so you don't need to use your regular conditioner with it, just follow the directions on the back. You can use stress coat anytime, there's no limit to it which is great :D

I hope this helps and your boy get's better soon!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Not a problem! It's what I'm here for lol

What size tank is he in right now?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #6 
Hoshiko

Quote:
Not a problem! It's what I'm here for lol

What size tank is he in right now?
He's currently living in a 2.5g minibow
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, you can either keep him in there or put him back in the 1 gallon. But it's generally easier to acclimate him when you are able to float him in the water and then add the water every few minutes.

So yeah, take out all of his stuff, you can leave the hide and one of the fake plants so he still feels safe. But definitely take out the marimo ball, you can just throw that into the 1 gallon :) Salt will harm all live plants though.

And as for conditioners I use API, but Prime is a great conditioner, it's by SeaChem. So if you can find that, I highly recommend :D But you could also use the stress coat all the time, as long as you don't over dose, I know some Betta's have had some issues when there was too much put into their tanks. So I generally only use my API Water Conditioner for the normal stuff and when I'm healing fins, I just use Stress Coat instead :)
Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #8 
Hoshiko

Quote:
Okay, you can either keep him in there or put him back in the 1 gallon. But it's generally easier to acclimate him when you are able to float him in the water and then add the water every few minutes.

So yeah, take out all of his stuff, you can leave the hide and one of the fake plants so he still feels safe. But definitely take out the marimo ball, you can just throw that into the 1 gallon :) Salt will harm all live plants though.

And as for conditioners I use API, but Prime is a great conditioner, it's by SeaChem. So if you can find that, I highly recommend :D But you could also use the stress coat all the time, as long as you don't over dose, I know some Betta's have had some issues when there was too much put into their tanks. So I generally only use my API Water Conditioner for the normal stuff and when I'm healing fins, I just use Stress Coat instead :)
Perfect, I'll put Mossy Nissan (the Marimo) in the 1gal. Just a couple more questions, should I leave the filter running or would that filter the aquarium salt? Also I should take the gravel out too, right?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yeah, leave the filter out and yes, you can put the gravel into the 1 gallon for now. I don't believe the filter will filter out salt, but it's going to make it a heck of a lot less stressful for your guy :)

Tags
fin rot