Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #1 
kvw1988

Opinion on 20 gallon

Hey everyone,

I just wanted your opinions on putting a single male in a 20 gallon long aquarium that I have. I'll have it heated of course, heavily planted, with real and silk plants and other hiding places, and maybe a small filter, haven't decided. I wasn't planning on putting any other fish in there with him.

I'm just curious if anybody has tried this before and how it worked out for you. I've been reading up on it and I've read that they love it, it works out great, and I've read that they get stressed because there's so much space to patrol and they get sick. He's currently in a heated 5 gallon with silk and real plants by himself, but I'm freeing up my 20 gallon and I was considering moving him into it. He's my buddy and I just want what's best for him.

Thanks to websites like this out of the three bettas I've had he's lived the longest and I would like to keep it that way. I read somewhere that in a research lab they had bettas live to be 10 years old, but they lived in large tanks,
were exercised everyday for about 20 minutes, and lived in water that was on the cooler side of what is acceptable for a betta.

Oh and I had thought about leaving him where he is and starting a sorority in the 20 gallon but I think that'll be too much work for me, something I'd like to try someday but not yet.

Anyway just wondering if anyone had done something like this and what your success was with it, or if it didn't work out.

Thanks guys
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #2 
jesssan2442

he should do fine in a 20g... just make sure he has enought hides and plants he might not like it if there are huge open spaces!! also tail plants that reach the top and floating plants will be great!!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #3 
xjenuhfur

A 20 gallon sounds like a fabulous house for a betta! If your betta has the right personality, you might even be able to start a small community.
For either scenario, lots of decor and some 'resting areas' would be great. These resting areas including broad leafy plants, and caves to play hide-n-seek in.
I have a few snails and otos in my 10gal. I'm sure a 29 gal you'd have quite a few more options.
Sororities, although are a novel concept, always seems to be ending badly or is just a ticking time bomb. Which is what swayed me away from attempting one.
Good luck on your fishy adventures! (:
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #4 
Deanna01

I honestly think he will love it, and I'll bet you find he explores every inch of it! I have a single male betta in a 12-gallon Fluval Edge, and there isn't a bit of space he doesn't use!
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

If he stresses, make some sort of divider and gradually increase the amount of tank space by moving the divider in small increments. With the plants I would definitely filter. But that's JMO.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Whenever people say that their betta is stressed by a large tank size, it is almost invariably because the tank is sparsely decorated. Most fish will be stressed if there is not enough cover. I think a betta will be fine in any tank size over five gallons as long as plenty of cover is provided. :)

Case in point: when I got my first HM male after he had been in a 1/2 litre barracks for however long at the petshop, he was totally freaked by all the space in my 5 gallon. I added more plants and hides to the point where there was barely any open space, and he became much braver.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

I have a soriety in my 20G long but I dont see why one betta would not be OK in there - rice paddies are their natural home and those are pretty big.

I would probably add something else to it - maybe a bristlenose pleco
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #8 
kvw1988

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone! I'll post pics when I get this all set up :)
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #9 
xjenuhfur

I can't wait to see it! :D
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #10 
jlllm

I think it would be great. I have my betta with 2 frogs in a 10 gallon one and I wish I had a 20. The possibilities for plants and decor would be amazing!
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote