Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #21 
ElizabethB

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsmiling View Post
It is aquasoil and fine sand in some. The one towards the end with bright colors was my first, a ten gallon. It had that black ecocomplete. I used to be inundated with malaysian trumpet snails. I cannot tell you how disgusting those tanks were when I finally broke them down. All from snail poop!
Those tanks are beautiful! You don't have any plants planted directly in the sand do you?
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #22 
jesssan2442

keepsmiling: What type of light do you use, your plants look very healthy! do you use Co2?

I know thats off topic but I had to ask...
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #23 
keepsmiling

Yes, I think there were some at the edges, like the hairgrass. It's been a while back, over a year ago since I had any of those tanks. My present tank is a 90 gallon with fancy goldfish. But I just purchased a small vintage tank off ebay, and am thinking about how I want to set it up. Not sure yet which way I want to go. For a bit I kept some blue mystery snails in my present tank. same problem...poop like crazy! I gave up. I still have one lone olive nerite I have had for years...can't let him go.
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #24 
keepsmiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesssan2442 View Post
keepsmiling: What type of light do you use, your plants look very healthy! do you use Co2?

I know thats off topic but I had to ask...
Hi, why don't you ask me on that planted tank thread, so we don't take Elizabeth's thread off topic?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #25 
ElizabethB

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsmiling View Post
Yes, I think there were some at the edges, like the hairgrass. It's been a while back, over a year ago since I had any of those tanks. My present tank is a 90 gallon with fancy goldfish. But I just purchased a small vintage tank off ebay, and am thinking about how I want to set it up. Not sure yet which way I want to go. For a bit I kept some blue mystery snails in my present tank. same problem...poop like crazy! I gave up. I still have one lone olive nerite I have had for years...can't let him go.
I may have to try the aqua soil. I may not have as much plant detritus with actual soil. Do you have to stir it like sand when cleaning the tank? I have been meaning to add some plant fertilizers to my tank, but I haven't made it to the store yet.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #26 
ElizabethB

Aponogeton, Red Tiger Lotus, Java Moss, and an Amazon Sword are the plants in my tank.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #27 
keepsmiling

No I never stirred it. I never stirred the sand either. I just used a small piece of tubing and manually cleaned it. I did use a comb- like thing to kind of work it back into shape. It was a lot of work keeping the paths clear of stones, and in order.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #28 
ElizabethB

I have always read that sand can build up deadly nitrogen pockets, so I always stir mine with every cleaning. Where did you get the aqua soil? I feel that with better nutrition my plants would not be as messy.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #29 
jaysee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB View Post
I have always read that sand can build up deadly nitrogen pockets, so I always stir mine with every cleaning.
Yes, it's a warning that people often repeat, despite there NEVER being any "gas bubbles killed my fish" threads. I suppose it's possible that that's the ONE problem that everyone manages to avoid.... But that's not likely. Its much more likely that it is not the threat that people think it is. We see threads about every stupid little thing, but NEVER about gas bubbles killing fish. There's a reason for that...

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #30 
keepsmiling

Hmm..it seems as though I got it here~
http://www.adana.co.jp/en/

or it may have been here?Aqua forest aquarium...which their site seems to be different now than what it was. I would suggest talking to some people who have recently set up a tank, or perhaps the folks over at the planted tank forum. See where they are presently buying from. I am a bit out of the loop since it has been so long. It will take me awhile to 'get my feet wet' again.