Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #1 
ConnieW

Question Question on Deco for a tank....

Are the plants and "non wood" items sold for reptile tanks ok for an aquarium?
I have seen some lovely silk plants sold for repitile tanks and they aren't all mashed flat like the silk aquarium plants.

Also there are some nice rock decorations that would be nice to use.
But I don't know if they are OK for an aquarium.

Anyone know??
ConnieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #2 
Stone

I would say most likely yes, I would check for metal though in the plants and maybe do a check on them by putting them in water for a few days to see if any dye leeches off of them I would test the rocks with vinager to make sure they are ok of it foams up do not put them in tank, but I will guess most likely they are safe be it reptiles can be pretty delicate to chemicals and things just like fish
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #3 
ConnieW

Thanks, I will keep this in mind...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #4 
jesssan2442

you can also check craft stores for silk plants, I just got a "greenery garland" for $6 that must be 5ft it is basically a long strand of silk leaves!! It also doesn't have any metal and the leaves are removible so I have a few leaves floating in Mercedes tank and she loves them! my boys have filters so the leaves just get pushed down but, I'm sure they'd love them too...
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #5 
ConnieW

Great idea....thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

FWIW, when I asked a PetSmart employee about using the stuff for reptiles in my aquariums she said she wouldn't.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #7 
ConnieW

Well, a pet store employee told me that Bettas live under waterfalls in the wild. LOL!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

I would never trust a pet store employee. Ever.

I actually have the ExoTerra Ficus silk plant by Hagen in my sorority tank (I believe). I liked it because I could use it as a floating plant. It has a suction cup instead of a weight on it. Others have used it to hide cords from heaters/filters.

IMO, terrarium accessories can be safer than those made for aquariums. For example, my spongebob pineapple house that rusted... The decoration is porous and the internal frame is metal. I replaced it with a terracotta pot and filled the hole with silicone.

Don't trust pet store employees and don't trust decorations that say they're safe for aquariums. Common sense is needed, here. If there isn't metal and it doesn't leech any color when you leave it soaking in a bucket for a few days, it's probably safer than the betta hammocks with metal wires in them, or the decor that chips paint constantly.

Edit: You may want to carry a magnet in your pocket and hold it up to anything you're thinking about putting in your tank. Actually, hold it up to all the decorations they have in the fish section. You might see what I mean.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I guess if the decorations have paint on them you would need to be sure it was safe to use in water and that paint would not be toxic to your fish.

Waterfalls, oh that is to funny...lol
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu

Well, excuse me. But when someone who makes $$ by selling me something tells me not to buy as it may be harmful to my pet, it I have to respect them whether anyone chooses to or not. Generalizations such as those above are hurtful to those on this forum who work for LFS or national chains. Think about it the next time you choose to denigrate these employees. Oh, and I'm not one.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 05-21-2013 at 10:27 PM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote