Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #11 
Chrisseh

How warm do you keep your apartment in winter? A catfish is not an algae eater. Catfish have wiskers on their mouths to aid them in finding fish to eat. Most of the time we feed them shrimp pellets (along with other foods) and they are happiest in a school of 3 or more. Algae eaters are vegitarians (mostly). The only algae eater that would stay small enough for your tank is an Ottocinclous (Otto cat for short), but they also live in schools. For a 1 gallon tank you will be happiest with just a betta (provided it's not too cold in your house). He will not be lonely and the work you would need to do for algae control is so minimul.
Chrisseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #12 
Sorceress

keep apt heater set for 65 in the winter in summer it gets around low 70 to maybe on a good day mid 80's
Sorceress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #13 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Keep in mind that a betta needs to be kept at a temp of 78 for optimum conditions. Anything lower than that and their health will suffer.
I understand about budgets, tho.

Here's a 3G version of the 6G I keep my betta in:

Eclipse System 3

Perhaps you can find something like this on Craigslist?? I've seen some really great deals on that site....
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #14 
Sorceress

well just got back from apt and i bought a gravel cleaner and a temp strip it running about 68 to 70 on the strip but will let it settle before i check again in a couple hours changed water to test the new gravel filter as i have plant bulbs in there no fish yet but got a more knowledgeable person at petco when i went in and will only get the betta any advice once i get to the fish stage in keeping tank clear and free of algae

also looked at bigger tanks within my budget and will not fit in the little opening between the kitchen and living room as that the only spot i can put a tank the one i got now just barely fits get smaller when i have to open lid

Last edited by Sorceress; 10-14-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #15 
Sorceress

update the the temp gage i bought at petco is reading 68
Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #16 
iamntbatman

68 is far too cold for a betta. Fish are cold-blooded creatures, which means that their metabolisms are driven by the temperature of their environment. A betta kept at 68 degrees will be lethargic and will have a compromised immune system, making it much more susceptible to disease.

A 1 gallon container is not big enough to house more than just the betta alone, and any sort of algae eating fish aside from an Oto catfish is going to need a larger tank. The two most common "algae eaters" are common plecostomus and Chinese algae eaters. Neither is appropriate for your tank, as the plecostomus will grow to over a foot in length and produce a massive amount of waste while the Chinese algae eater will get to six inches or more in length and terrorize the betta.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #17 
Sorceress

that temp reading was this morning it is now up to 70 and i do have drafty apt will be getting plastic to stop the drafts next week then will see how that affects tank temp