Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #1 
PackerBacker

Walmart Betta question/advice/help?

I was recently at Walmart & watched as someone knocked a Betta on the floor after bumping the shelving. A WM employee came & promptly scooped up the fish to put him in with another Betta?! I waited for traffic to clear & quickly bought them & hurried home. The Betta that fell looks pretty rough...tattered & missing fins. I believe he's a Veiltail but he's so roughed up I can't tell. He swims fine & seems ok internally. Is there anything special I should do? Will his fins come back? The other has mascot type coloring, green tinted body & red fins...is this unusual at all? Thanks!
PackerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #2 
JellOh

Warm, clean water, daily water changes, stress coat, and Indian Almond Leaves. He should be right as rain in no time.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #3 
DragonFyre14

That is so horrible poor fish. With a little love, and warm clean water he should be healthy and regrowing his fins in no time. He's lucky you were there to take him home
Posted via Mobile Device
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #4 
Lights106

Awe how amazing of you! When's he's doing better, or even now, post a picture!!
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #5 
Melodica

Yeah, my local Walmart has made me very angry in regards to their betta care. I went the other day and saw that someone had stacked up all the dead bettas - there were six cups. The water was dark brown and they looked like they'd been there for a while.

I took pics with my phone and came home and wrote a scathing message to them on their website. A couple of evenings later, I missed a call from that WM (thank goodness for caller ID). The person who left the voicemail just gave her name. Didn't say who she was with or what her position was. I tried calling back but could never get her.

I went BACK to that same store the next evening and was happy to see no bettas on the shelves. Something made me move around some fish tanks on a shelf beside the shelf that usually houses the bettas. Someone had put ALL the bettas behind a bunch of aquarium boxes. ??? I got so mad. I put all the poor little guys (who barely had enough water in their cups) back on the shelf where they should be and put back everything I had picked up and walked out.

So yeah... I'm not liking Walmart much right now. I'm very glad you rescued the poor things. Nothing living should be kept in conditions like that.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #6 
ElizabethB

Melodica- Good for you on blowing the whistle, I'd do it again in regards to the bettas being hidden. My Walmart used to sell all kinds of freshwater fish, but after a number of complaints they stopped. Is this nationwide?

Anyway, they still carry bettas, but I refuse to buy them. Poor little buggers sitting in an inch of water in a cup- it's heart-breaking but I don't want to perpetuate the cycle. I buy my filter packs from Walmart because they are (significantly) cheaper, but that's about it.

My local pet store keeps them in small bowls, but they look immeasurably healthier. I think that someone at least changes the water. My male and three of my sorority girls were purchased there, and all are healthy and fine.

I'm surprised there was even an employee around; I can never find one.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #7 
dummees

I did the same thing today, at petsmart. I was there to buy some aquarium salt for my boy Silus who's been biting, and noticed a poor little black and white HM had velvet. Seeing as I just bought aquarium salt anyway, I took him home with a new tank and started treatment a few minutes ago. C:
Glad to see that even though people hate to support companies that treat their fish so terribly, we still rush out to rescue them when they need help.
dummees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #8 
jsmith11618

Makes me glad my local Wal-Mart sells nothing living.
jsmith11618 is offline   Reply With Quote