Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 
JoeRoeslein

Water test results

Noob here in need of help. I purchased an API freshwater master test kit and performed my first test and need to know what I need to do to get my water where it needs to be. I have a 10 gallon filtered tank with one betta. I did my first water change on Tuesday a week after putting him into his new cycled tank. I was using test strips before I put him in the tank and everything looked great. Pets mart also tested the water before I bought him and said everything was good.

Here are my results 3 days after a 25% water change with prime.

PH:7.8-8
Amonia:.5
N02:0
N03:5

FYI, I have never let any food hit the gravel for more than 1 minute. He is very good about eating everything I give him and he seems very healthy and active. He has actually been more frisky than usual the last few days. He is flaring his fins alot and he even nips my fingers when I test the water. I don't think he is being aggressive to me with his flaring since he never flares his gills or body. He's a fearless little guy.
JoeRoeslein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 
shellieca

Since you are showing ammonia your tank has not fully cycled. If you had the proper BB built up you would have 0 ammonia & nitrites, <20 nitrates. I would do a 50% water change to bring down the ammonia. I would test daily & do a water change if the ammonia or nitrites are >.25 or nitrates >20. When you say your tank was cycled, how did you cycle it?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #3 
JoeRoeslein

I just tested my tap water and it's reading .5-1 ppm ammonia. Should I do a 50% change and double up on the prime? I think prime will give you a false positive for the first 24 hrs. I did some reading and found out vacuuming all of your gravel is not a good idea. Oops. I guess I'll skip the vacuuming this week and only vacuume half of the tank from now on.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #4 
shellieca

Hopefully your BB will catch up soon & the .5 from your tap won't be an issue. Since you have .5 in your tap you may want to keep daily testing if ammonia gets higher than .5 then do a water change in the mean time you can dose every other day with Prime to detox the little ammonia that's in there. I would test the water BEFORE adding the prime. The false reading IMO isn't really false its just a different form of ammonia which won't show once the tank cycles. As for vacuuming, I don't know why vacuuming would be a bad thing, I vac all my tanks once a week & have never heard from an experienced fish keeper that its bad. Some people do the 1/2 & 1/2 because they have large tanks & can't get the whole tank during one water change.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #5 
JoeRoeslein

I added 1ml of prime to the tank. Should I test 24 hours after adding prime? I spent hours researching the net before purchasing my fish and I thought I was doing everything right. Guess not.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #6 
shellieca

You're doing fine. Lots of people are in the same boat. Yes test water every 24 hrs.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #7 
JoeRoeslein

I did another test today and everything but ammonia (.5-1) was the same so I did around a 40% water change with prime. I have a better Ammonia test kit on the way that should be here today.

I bought some bio filter pad and cut it up and placed pieces in the resivour, behind the carbon filter and in the outlet. The one in the outlet is also helping slow the flow so I removed a DIY shield that I had on it. Im adding this foam to harvest some bacteria so I can switch to a bio wheel filter. How long do you think I should wait to make the switch? I don't want the cycle to start over again. I would think I'm close to the end of the cycle since I'm seeing nitrates. According to what I've read seeing nitrates means you are at the end of the cycle.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

How did you cycle it the first time?
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #9 
JoeRoeslein

My daughter won a goldfish at the carnival so I went out and bought the tank for him. I fought with a fish in cycle and was keeping on top of it prety good. We went to the pet store to buy him a friend and the new friend had ick which ended up killing them both. I felt horrible so I left the tank alone for months empty. We had to move the tank for painting so I emptyed 80-90% of the tank, changed the filter, rinced the gravel and cleaned all of the decorations just incase. I filled it up with declorinated water and left it alone for three weeks. I went to the pet store and bought test strips, tested the water and everything looked good so I brought a water sample to petsmart and they said it looked good. Since they told me everything looked good i let my daughter pick a fish to be her new pet and that was around 2 weeks ago.

I've done some research since then and recognize alot of the things I did wrong. I took the word of people at petco with the goldfish and ended up killing them so I figured I should do some research before buying the betta. I don't have alot of time to search everything possible so here I am again fighting my fish tank. Gotta love it.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #10 
JoeRoeslein

I just tested the water with a seachem multitest and I'm seeing .02 on free ammonia and the total ammonia is showing brown and brown is not on the scale. I'm guessing it's off the scale. These tests drive me crazy.

Looks like prime is doing its job since the free ammonia is low. Should I wait 48 hrs after I last introduced prime to see where my tank is without prime?

Last edited by JoeRoeslein; 06-13-2013 at 03:01 PM.