Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

Bye, Blush

My bettas are dying 1 after the other. Blush is the latest, and I'm betting Glow will be gone by the end of the week.

I'm sorry I ever got these fish.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sorry for your loss. Was this to "the sulk"?

I'm sure these bettas really did enjoy their time with you, you shouldn't feel bad.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

Some sulking, but fin rot, mostly. I did a 4-day KanaPlex run (the directions say to do only 4) but I lost Blush after the 4th dose. The rest have fins that look awful, but not a lot of sulking. However, Glow has the most fin loss & is least responsive @ feeding time. Both Red & Mist look like H*ll but are acting OK.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #4 
Rosewynn

I am sorry. I had a similar incident years ago and it's actually why I had to take a break from bettas. Bettas are great fish in that their personalities are so unique. But the downside is they are still fish and live short fish lives as is but with medical problems it's so much shorter and because they're so unique I feel the loss is harder.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Oh gee. Another one? I'm sorry.

If the Kanaplex isn't stopping it, you could try adding one of the furan meds.... It is ok to treat simultaneously with both Kanaplex and Furan 2 (or Bifuran or Jungle Fungus Clear).

(*Furan 2 / Bifuran / Jungle Fungus Clear all have the same two furan antibiotics.)

How are you disinfecting after they die? I know some were in the sorority tank, but what about the others?

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-21-2013 at 11:43 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

Awww...so sorry..very sad:(
I am wondering why they all getting sick. Do not share anything between sick fish and other fish. I have 10 bettas and one of them 5 years old and the youngest one about 2 years old. Even though they don't get sick i still trying to use separate changing cup for all of them. Even when i feed them if i touch the water in one tank i rinse my hands before i go to feed another one. And all my bettas in separate tanks too.

oo.. sorry just tried to search for you previous post and saw your comment
Something got into my sorority (& males' tank by cross-contamination)....

Do you still any betta left:( Are they all sick? Do you think any of them will pull through? Just feel so bad:(
Don't get discourage you did good thing that you rescued them from the store , at least they were loved:( I used to rescued sick betta before .
But i am sure you can just disinfect everything and start over...Do you need disinfection instructions?
Don't give up.
Also don't make water too warm it will cause bacteria to flourish

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-22-2013 at 10:26 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #7 
Xaltd1

Thanks everyone. All my bettas are showing fin loss; I have the girls in the 29 gallon & my 1 male left alone in a 10 gal.
I don't know how to disinfect a tank, and I really can't consider it b/c the 29 gal contains live (=expensive) plants; 4 juvenile ocellifer cats & 13 TEENY oto cats, plus snails (that don't seem to live very long in that tank). These cats are showing no illness, but they, by default, are getting the KanaPlex.
I can add the Jungle Fungus Clear, too.
From what I've read, once bettas have a disease, you can't get rid of it, just treat the symptoms. (Info from Matt's Bettas.)
The girls look horrible, but all are eating and terrorizing the ocellifer cats! They (particularly Mist) waits for the cats to come out of hiding & has a face-off with them (the cats scurry away). When I feed the cats, she (7 the others) has to sample their food, which is not good.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Medications are usually really harsh on live plants. Can you put Glow in a hospital tank, and try out the Jungle Fungus Clear / Kanaplex combo on her? Since she looks the worst, maybe she'll respond to the combination..... Poor girl....
Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #9 
Xaltd1

Oops, I meant to say that all the girls terrorize the ocellifers & eat their food.

I was going to treat each betta in a hospital tank then return them, but the pathogens will still be in the tank, they'll get sick again- 'round and 'round and stressing the fish on top of it.

My plants are OK. Weird.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Many bacteria/parasites die eventually without a host. (Mycobacteria can survive for months in just distilled water, because it has a waxy coating. But most of the other pathogens can't survive for longer than a couple of weeks.)