Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #1 
LinkLover

Ten gallon tank challenge

Sometime in the near-ish future my fiance and I might be getting a new pet to go in our empty ten gallon tank. The only problem is we have no idea what we should get, since we have quite a few restrictions (all of which were determined by us). So I thought I would see if any of you guys could come up with anything (if there IS anything) that would work. The following are the guidelines we have set for ourselves:

NO live food
NO snakes
NO rodents
Captive bred
Non aquatic (although this one can change if we find the right pet)
Nothing aggressive
Reasonable maintenance

Now that we've pretty much ruled out everything, is there anything at all you guys can think of? There is a good chance we can upgrade tank size in the future, if that helps at all. Thanks for any suggestions!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The only thing I could think of was a Bearded Dragon but I think they need more than a 10 gallon....and live food I think, but I've never owned one.

No fish at all?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #3 
LinkLover

Yea, they will eventually need a forty gallon breeder tank, and eat LOTS of bugs when they are young. Although they are cute and friendly! Well, if we did get a fish, I would prefer that it was solitary (I'm weird and like to just have one animal per cage/tank, since I feel like I can get to know them better that way). And I know that also limits my choices.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #4 
Riverotter

LOL, well, you did rule out just about everything!
You could do hermit crabs.
I had a couple as a kid, they don't pinch and are cute to watch, they are easy care a weekly bath and sand rinse. I just kept 2 batches of sand. I'd empty the tank into a bucket, stick a hose in it to clean it, and grab last weeks bucket and dump it in the tank. LOL, little buckets, kid's sand-pail size. Kept them under the bathroom sink.

And please, please, unless it's naturally a very solitary or territorial critter - give your pets some company. Even if you spend a solid hour a say with them, that's still 23 hours that they're all alone.

You'll get to know them just fine. Actually better, as they won't be lonely and depressed. Our 2 mice, Linny and Peaches, are dashing and playing tag all around their cage across the room. As soon as they stop, they'll groom each other and cuddle. They are both just as personable and tame as they'd be alone, and far more entertaining and happy. Linny likes to tease the cats ;)
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #5 
LinkLover

I was actually almost totally set on hermit crabs until I found out they are all collected in the wild. :/ And when they get big they need BIG tanks!

I totally hear you on the company thing, and I agree. That's why we only get naturally solitary animals, like our Bettas, Pacman Frog, and Uromastyx (and I know wild Bettas aren't solitary). Any animals we have that like company, such as our African Dwarf Frogs, always have a buddy or two. That's one of the reasons rodents are out of the picture.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #6 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
The only thing I could think of was a Bearded Dragon but I think they need more than a 10 gallon....and live food I think, but I've never owned one.

No fish at all?
Yea, They need 40 gallon minimum and eat bugs. They are fun pets though.

I think ADF is the only non fish I can figure out for the 10 gallon.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #7 
Riverotter

There are a couple of folks who breed them, but I don't think they have websites. But I do know, from living in FL, very often the places they are collected from are sites that are being developed. It's better that they get collected then buldozed.
You can ask if they are sustainably harvested or farmed where you buy them. If they say they don't know, nag them to ask their supplier.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #8 
LinkLover

We have two African Dwarf Frogs already, and they are quite comical little guys. :)

Oh really? I have never heard of anyone breeding them. The only problem with asking the pet stores is that I don't trust their answer, because sometimes they will say what they think you want to hear. And also like I said before they need quite a bit of space when they get to be full sized. Although that takes a very long time, I'm not too sure I want a fifty five gallon tank. :P Oh, and I would always be terrified of them dying while they're down there molting, since that is when A LOT of deaths occur.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #9 
JellOh

Know this kinda breaks the "nothing aquatic" rule, but what about a paludarium? It's a tank with water and land, usually its stuffed full of plants. It's just an idea, but I've always wanted to set one up :)
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #10 
LinkLover

My fiance has actually wanted to do that for a while now, and plans to do one in the future. :) But right now we would like to have an actual pet (although I'm sure there are things that could live happily in that setup).

Man, I feel like I'm just shooting everyone down. :/ I really do appreciate all your input!

Maybe I should throw out the non aquatic rule?