Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So ruling out any shrimp communities or snail communities? I know you said solitary but figured I'd throw it out anyway :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #12 
BettaNubRandyLove

Hmmmm. What about frozen foods? If so I would get a newt.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #13 
LinkLover

We used to have a tank of Mystery Snails (now down to one) that we thoroughly enjoyed. It's something we may do again, but are interested in trying something new. As for shrimp, they're very cute, but reproduce so much that you wouldn't really be able to get to know them as individuals.

Frozen foods are something we would consider, especially if it wasn't an every day thing. I have looked into newts and think they are adorable! Are they difficult to care for? From what I've seen they look a bit challenging. But I could be wrong. Have you/do you own(ed) one?
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Back to the Shrimp, if you get some of the less common shrimp you could do it. Just get two of one species, two of another. Just an idea :)

Newts would be adorable though!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #15 
BettaNubRandyLove

I personally haven't owned one but in the summer I work at a nature center and Im in charge of feeding. they have a single newt in a ten gallon. as far as Im concerned feeding is pretty easy. the only thing is newts don't have good eye sight so you have to either drop it in front of him and hope he eats it, or feed him with long tweezers.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #16 
LinkLover

Do different shrimp species get along? Or is it only certain ones? Also, I assume they have very short lifespans. We had quite the disastrous year in terms of fish dying (mostly with my fiance's tropical tank) and would like to have whatever we decide on stick around for a while.

What type of newt is it? I don't know if all newts have the same basic care or not.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #17 
BettaNubRandyLove

He is a fire beliied newt.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Pretty much all shrimp get along, I personally wouldn't put Ghost shrimp in with any others because they are among the only ones to have claws. And as far as I'm aware they can live to be about 1-2 years old. Granted that's not super long. But I would get some of the more ornamental ones like Tigers, any of the Crystal ones are pretty, Cardinal shrimp.

Here's a site that lists a bunch of them, none of the pictures are showing up for me but if you hover of the names on the list at the left, it shows you a picture so you can at least see and then look up that particular shrimp.

But of course the Newt idea seems much cooler than shrimp haha.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #19 
LinkLover

Oh ok, that's good to know! The link for the website isn't there...? And I think shrimp are cool too. I always love watching them move their little legs and pick at stuff in tanks. :P

Fire Bellied Newts are SUPER cute! That was one of the species I have been looking at. My only concern is that I've seen they prefer densely planted tanks, and I am certainly not good at plants, aquatic or not. Haha. The animal I REALLY wanted was a Tiger Salamander, but they eat worms and are pretty much only wild caught. :/
Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #20 
helms97

I was going to say you should get two fire bellied news or fire bellied frogs.. They're both fun.. But aquatic.. Heres a link for ordering them inline if you're interested http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/new...-for-sale.html
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote