Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Red face Oops...

Lol funny story today involving my 5.5 gallons filter. I kept the filter with the set up, it's Top Fin, baffled it with a soda bottle. It's been cycled for about 3 weeks now and is holding my 5 Sunset Wag Platy Fry that I will eventually sell when they get a little older.

I also moved Rembrandt to that tank since he was the only longer tailed male Betta that I had so he can't exactly keep up to try to eat the Platy Fry. Originally Mercury was in there but he wouldn't leave the fry alone! Granted they are bigger than his mouth but I still didn't want him to damage my little fry. So then I tried Jarvis since I had seen him in a community tank before and he did was flare a little and then just chill in his corner. He too chased the fry too much.

So long story short, Mercury is in Remmy's old split and Jarvis is back in his 3 gallon and the fry are all safe. Remmy doesn't even seem to care about the fry anymore, knowing he can't catch them and they aren't stupid enough to cross in front of him.

So I was doing my bi-weekly water change on that tank and I remembered that it was time to give the filter media a swish! So I untaped the lid (darn lid doesn't have a hinge of any sorts) and I took the media out after having done a siphoning on it. I went to swish it and the entire thing just like melted in my hands! I had to laugh because I haven't had any media actually fall apart on me before!!

It was so funny I had to take some pictures! They'll be below.

I do have a question though through all of this, I stuffed the filter with the AquaClear Sponge I had laying around (man that stuff was hard to cut!) and I hope I have enough bacteria on everything else that it won't cause a mini-cycle or anything because I literally couldn't put the cartridge back in there.

So Question: will the filter be alright with the sponge and the black carbon thing? I never actually thought about it, but will I absolutely need activated carbon cartridge? I know there's the three different filtrations and I assume the activated carbon is just one of them? Is that one the chemical filtration?

I assume it will be fine, but I've assumed a great many things before and just want to make for certain :)

And now for those wonderful pictures XD

(Disregard the black water, it was from swishing out my 33 gallon cartridge as well which has three pieces of driftwood in there so it turns my water black whenever I swish out the cartridge.)

It was just purely decimated haha

And that's my fun story of the day XD Hope you enjoyed lol, you can share you experiences like this too if you like!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Personally, I just get a new filte cartridge xD Wow... Never had one fall apart on me LOL. And I reuse them until they die.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I also use them till they die too! That's why I thought it was hilarious that it just fell apart like that! I mean, it is a Top Fin brand so I'm really not surprised but it was just so unexpected XD
Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Reactoin: "... Well then...."
Old 05-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #5 
JellOh

Next time I'd throw the dead filter wool stuff on top of the sponge for a bit. It'll help prevent a cycle. As London as it's secured tightly and doesn't get into the tank itself, it shouldn't cause any harm. After all, it was in there 3 seconds ago and working just fine.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks JellOh, and I assume that's supposed to be "long" instead of "London" haha

I didn't really think of that, I mean, the black carbon floss is still in there and there is plenty of surfaces in the tank, but of course anything can happen, you are right. I will remember that for next time.

Of course I generally swish my filter cartridges out once a week or every other week, especially in my 33 because I'm still cycling out the tannins from the driftwood so that one can get nasty quick. I definitely need another filter in there. I was going to use the AquaClear 70 I have that's attached to the stand because the person who had this tank before me though it would be a good idea to wire it to the stand....but then I realized that the chord is going underneath the stand and I can't get the actual filter through so I'll have to get my dad to lift up the tank again for a second while I get the chord back through and can actually use it! But that's where the foam came from from.

I will be monitoring it closely for a while until I'm certain nothing will happen. It's also stuffed with live plants so if something does happen, my fish will be safe at least :)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Also note that the filter cartridge is not the only thing holding BB. I usually swish it around in the filter itself when the cartridge has been replaced.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Right, that I did know. And are you saying you swish the cartridge in the filter? Or am I misreading that?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I did. basically it re-adds the BB into the filter and tank, including the new filter.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #10 
Stone

I do not buy the cartridges any more I bought big filter pads and cut them to shape, i use pantyhose to put carbon in and another one to put some peat moss in, my waters ph is a bit too alkaline and peat moss is a good way to lower it naturally and slowly to not shock your fish plus adds trace minerals and so on and the filter pads last a long long time you can even get ones that reduce ammonia and nitrites and phosphate if you water has those issues,
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote