Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #1 
samanthacollier

My Betta is Hanging Out in Corner of Tank

Hi there,

I have a new Betta called King and he likes to hang out in the top corner of the tank all day. Is this normal?

He is acting weird otherwise, breathing normally, etc.
samanthacollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I know I know most of King's history already but can you fill out the form so I can get a refresher and maybe spot something you didn't? Also have you done a water change since your last thread I commented on?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #3 
samanthacollier

Thank you for the reply. I knew that was too short of an email. My daughter called me as I was writing so I apologize for the lack of information. Here is the form:

Housing

What size is your tank? 5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Betta Food Blood Worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day - 3 worms in the morning and 3 at night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Basics by Seachem - 1 lid full per gallon

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7 (my kit only test PH)
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No change
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's hanging out in the corner of the tank and likes to stay there. He seems okay except he doesn't want to go anywhere else.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure

I did a water change today around lunch time. I took out 25% of the water via gravel vacum. I filled up a bucket with 2 gallons of tap water and added 2 lid fulls of the water conditioner. I checked the temerature of the bucket water and it was 80 degrees. I think my tank might have been 78 at the time. I added about half the bucket (1 gallon) to tank slowly. Do you think this would too big of a change at one time?

I'm so mad at myself if I did this wrong again. Here's a video of what he's doing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRadbemBAYU

Here's some pics of the products I'm using:

Here's a pic of him yesterday:
Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #4 
samanthacollier

I should also point out that my desk is right in this corner too so he's basically staring at me :)
Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #5 
samanthacollier

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=55809
Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okidokey, and don't worry about it :) You've done good.

So, the tank is cycling right now, right? Or did I not talk about that?
Either way, you shouldn't have to do that many water changes on a 5 gallon. You should definitely get at least an Ammonia liquid testing kit to see what might be going on. I can tell by his white tummy that he's stressed.

But don't worry! More often than not, Betta's get shy and skittish when first taken home. It will take him a while to adjust to his new home and see that he's actually got room to move. I would get him some more plants that he can hide in eventually, this will make him feel more safe since there won't be as much "open space" for bad things to happen, you know?

My extreme case, Rembrandt, took a whole month to finally eat and get used to his new home, but generally it's about a week and he'll be swimming around in his new home happily.

On the flip side, the water changes could also be stressing him out. I suggest you get a new turkey baster if you don't already have one so that you can suck out his poo during the week which will help the ammonia not build up to hurt him. And it's a lot less stressful than a water change :)

Once your tank is cycled you'll only need a 25-50% water change a week. I say 25-50 because I know some people who only do 25 while others I know do 70% each week :) So it's really up to you and what you feel would be good for him.

I think you should turn the lights off soon and leave them off a little longer tomorrow or all day tomorrow to help him be less stressed.

Oh also, are those frozen Bloodworms or Freeze-dried?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #7 
samanthacollier

Did I tell you that you're amazing?

I'm going to go to Pet Smart tonight to buy an ammonia liquid test. Should I buy some more plants as well? Will it stress him out if I plant them tonight? He likes the bushy ones. Is it okay that my tank just has gravel and rocks - will they grow okay?

The bloodworms are freeze dried - should I buy others?

Should I pick up anything else while I'm there? I want to do everything right - is there anything I can do to lesson the stress?

I apologize for the millions of questions - just want to be a good Betta mom!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #8 
samanthacollier

Oh and should I do 25% water changes once per week and just suck up the poo with the turkey baster?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, just helpin' out is what I'm doing :)

Okay, I need to tell you about cycling at some point to, I'll probably just PM you since it will practically be a novel >< There is also a Sticky on the Nitrogen Cycle in the Betta Care section I believe if you would like to check that out.

And yes plants will do just fine in gravel. That's all I had before I switched to sand and my plants were good :) Bushy ones are great for him. I don't know if you've got any Local stores around you, I find my Betta's love Water Sprite, it's a floating plant, can also be buried, but my boys and girls sleep in their floaters and they love it! You can also float Hornwort which another bushy sort of stem plant. But I don't think PetSmart will have those, but it's worth a look!

And no, it shouldn't stress him out to plant them, he also might just be observing you as well. Betta's love their interaction with people and are very curious creatures, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was just watching you do whatever you do haha.

You *may* need some sort of liquid fertilizer down the road for the plants if they don't get all the nutrients, also some of the plants like Anubias and Swords and Crypts might "melt" their leaves when you put them in, but that's alright, they are just adjusting to your water. Generally they are grown out of water so it's kind of a shock to their system when you submerge them, but they will be fine given time.

As for Liquid Ferts, I use API LeafZone and it's worked fine for me, also SeaChem's Flourish is good, don't get Flourish Excel though, that's something different. If it say's "Fertilizer" on it, it's good.

Also I would only use the Freeze-dried stuff once a week. It's basically the equivalent to feeding a child chocolate all the time haha. It's packed high in protein but lacks every thing else a Betta needs. If you find it convenient, you could pick him up some Omega One Betta Pellets or New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets. Those are the two most recommended pellets on here since they aren't filled with things like wheat, grains and corns, the things Betta's will get constipated off of. But what you have is alright for now if you want to hold off.

And I think that's good for now, I can't think of anything else that you *need* per se. Oh, also for cycling which I will PM you about later, the more plants you have in there, the easier it is. Generally fast growing plants like Anacharis, Hornwort, Cabomda, Water Wisteria (I know Petsmart usually has those in tubes you can find), Ludwigia and Rotala are good plants to do for that. Basically if you've got a lot of plants you don't have to worry about levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate getting too high because the plants kind of suck it all up. But I'll talk more about that in the PM. However if you're on tight budgets or anything, don't feel like you have to get lots of plants, there are other ways to cycle it and he'll be fine.

For stress relievers, the best thing you can do is just keep the lights off, you can also throw a towel over it or something so that he's in complete darkness but he'll be fine like that.

Alright, I think I answered everything....oh! And make sure the turkey baster is new and has never seen soap, soap is very bad for our fish! They do sell the "Betta Basters" at Pet smart, it's literally the same thing just marketed for Bettas. However I never actually looked into what a turkey baster actually costs but I know the Betta sucker is only like $2.12 or something like that. But either way, it does the same thing lol.

EDIT: Sorry for the novel again
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #10 
samanthacollier

I sent you a private message but wanted to post here as well. Thank you for all the support you provide. I bet King would thank you too!

I covered his tank and took a peek inside - he's poking around more and looks happier. I also got a test kit from PetSmart and the Ammonia levels are 0. I got the master kit but it looks like a big job so I haven't test for anything else yet.

I turned off the filter and he seemed to stop hiding in the corner. Do you think it's too strong? It's the one that came with the aquarium - maybe I should get a slower one? What do you think? Is it okay that I turned it off? They didn't have any good plants there so I'm going to purchase some tomorrow - also got a neat little house-type-thing to put in there so there isn't as much as open space.

Hopefully he perks up by tomorrow!