Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #1 
Seki

How do I feed frozen foods?

I know it might sound like a stupid question, but I have never fed frozen food before. I picked up some frozen bloodworms today because I have a boy who is refusing pellets and he's getting VERY skinny. So now that I have them... how do I feed them? I am planning on feeding frozen bloodworms to all three of my boys tonight.

Help?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #2 
SeaKnight

Depending on how much time I have and whether or not I feel someone needs a little TLC, I do it one of three ways:

1. break off a small piece and allow to thaw in some aquarium water that I took from tank then depending on how much there actually is, I either dump it all back into tank or take a medicine syringe (without needle) and suck up the excess and dump appropriate amount into one tank and syringe into the other. If no one else needs fed then I just refreeze and use the leftovers for next feeding.

2. Thaw same as above, only instead of dumping all food in and leaving, I target feed with the syringe to specific fish first (after separating them with the net, from the rest of the community) then dump rest of food in.

3. Break a small piece off and drop in tank and allow to thaw (I have only just begun to be able to eyeball appropriate amounts while food is still frozen)

Edit to add: I typically feed live which is usually 3-4 worms per feeding: sometimes up to 6 depending on the size of worms and how active they were throughout the day/night..

Last edited by SeaKnight; 06-03-2013 at 06:53 PM.
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Well I thaw my frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp in a separate glass, and then I use a pair of cheap tweezers, and just tweezer the frozen food in.

Ever since I had a betta choke to death on frozen food I didn't thaw beforehand (still to this day have no idea how it happened), I always pre-thaw just as a precautionary measure.

Also is your male eating anything? Internal parasites can cause fish to refuse food so if he isn't interested in any of the foods you offer him it may be prudent to do a course of anti-parasite medication.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #4 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Also is your male eating anything? Internal parasites can cause fish to refuse food so if he isn't interested in any of the foods you offer him it may be prudent to do a course of anti-parasite medication.
agreed!!!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #5 
Seki

Thanks for the advice, guys! I know it seems silly, but since I've never fed frozen foods before, I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

In answer to your question, LittleBettaFish, my male has been refusing all food, including freezedried bloodworms. He will take a pellet, chew it, then spit it back out and ignore it for the rest of the time it's in his tank. I remove it after he does that because I don't want the water getting bad.

I don't know if he has parasites. I have asked twice for help with his condition and neither time has yielded much advice. I get very few responses and nobody has been able to help me yield any improvement from him. :(
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #6 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Thanks for the advice, guys! I know it seems silly, but since I've never fed frozen foods before, I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

In answer to your question, LittleBettaFish, my male has been refusing all food, including freezedried bloodworms. He will take a pellet, chew it, then spit it back out and ignore it for the rest of the time it's in his tank. I remove it after he does that because I don't want the water getting bad.

I don't know if he has parasites. I have asked twice for help with his condition and neither time has yielded much advice. I get very few responses and nobody has been able to help me yield any improvement from him. :(
Don't feel silly: and your welcome
Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

If he is emaciated looking and still refusing food, it may be worth treating him for internal parasites as they can cause a lack of appetite even if the betta looks as though it should need to be eating.

Not sure on what specific brands you have available over there (I am just assuming you are either American or Canadian based on the majority of this forum), but I think it is Jungle Parasite Clear that seems to be quite popular.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #8 
Seki

Alright, I guess I can give it a try. I am always hesitant to use medications on fish because they are so powerful and the fish are so delicate. I will maybe run out and pick some up tomorrow, though.

For now we'll see if he will be tempted by the bloodworms. Maybe he is just picky? I just don't see internal parasites fitting in with the rest of his symptoms, but to be honest, I am no expert. I am hopeful he is just picky and the issue before was simple fin rot. I guess we'll see. :/
Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I don't think internal parasite medications are incredibly harsh as a lot of people use them on any new stock that comes through their doors.

If he is emaciated and refusing food they can be indicators of internal parasites. Frozen bloodworms are really not very nutritious and it is not healthy if this is the only food he takes.

What brand of food were you feeding? Some fish don't like certain types of pellets. I found New Life Spectrum seems to be one brand that nearly all fish will take.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #10 
Seki

At this point, I just want him to take food. I feed Aqueon pellets, which every other one of my bettas has loved. It might not be his thing, but I can't find any better pellets around. I have looked and looked for NLS, or even for Omega One, and I can't find them at any of the pet stores around me. :(