Ok so I'm getting a corn snake in a few days :)
I really need some help, I've got a few questions I need answered.
Have any of you ever had experience with corn snakes? I have never had a corn snake (or any kind if snake) in my life so I'm Definetly a newbie at caring for them. I do, however, know the following things:
1. Corn snakes eat mice. They start with baby mice and increase in size as the snake gets older, and it turns into adult mice when the snake is an adult. You need to freeze them and let them sit in hot but not boiling water to unfreeze before using tweezers to pick it up by the tail and holding at the snake to strike at. One mouse will last about 7-10 days.
2. Corn snakes need aspen chips, not cedar because it is toxic to all snakes.
3. Corn Snakes need a heater that goes underneath half of the tank. The heated half needs to be 75-80 degrees and the unheated half needs to be 70-75 degrees.
4. Corn snakes need two hiding places, one on the heated side and one on the non heated side. They also need a stick or branch that is big enough to support the snakes weight but also small enough for the snake to coil it's body around. They also like plants.
5. Corn Snakes need a 20 gallon or more terrarium.
6. Corn snakes need a fresh water fish available at all times.
Ok. So this is the info I have. Here are my questions:
1: is all the info I listed above correct?
2: is there any missing info/anything I did not mention that I need to know about corn snake care?
3: do I need to rinse out the terrarium before I use it? Can snakes get new tank syndrome like fish?
4: can I wash the terrarium with soap? Or is that just a BAD idea (like with fish)?
5: is the snake ok drinking tap water?
6: how do I clean the aspen chips?
7: how often do I need to clean the terrarium?
Again, I'm a total beginner when it comes to corn snake care, I've never had any kind of snake before, so don't tell me I'm stupid and why didn't I know this, and I'm asking dumb questions, etc. thanks for all the help.