Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #1 
mkirby258

Non-filtered Betta bowl question

My friend just called me and was asking some questions about care for a betta fish. I guess his daughter has not been to lucky on keeping her recently purchased bettas. I have no idea about betta care in any sense.
The setup is a 1 gallon Tank/bowl with no filter. It had a divider in the middle so she could have two bettas. he said the fish would last a month or so and then would die.
With me having no experience with bettas or any type of non-filtered setup I resorted to giving him advice from my freshwater experience. I told him that when he cleans the bowl, he might want to keep a couple cups of the old water to put back in the tank once cleaned (my rationale was to think of it like a 20% water change). I also told him that most fish problems spur from over feeding, and to cut back on the food.
What information can you guys give me to pass along to him? I told him I would talk to the people w/ experience in bettas :) I have no idea what his water parameters look like. Thanks for your help!

Matt
mkirby258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #2 
mkirby258

just read "sticky" on betta care, and it cleared up a lot of info for me. I will pass it along to my friend. If yall have any other comments let me know
mkirby258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #3 
iamntbatman

Well, your "regular" tropical fish knowledge should be pretty much all he needs. Bettas are tropical fish and would definitely benefit from being in a filtered, heated tank with room to swim. Just because they're hardy enough to survive in unfiltered, unheated bowls doesn't mean they should have to.

In a bowl that small, ammonia builds up pretty fast. Having no heater also places the fish's immune system at risk. Many pet store bettas are already sick when you purchase them. Crummy conditions, bad water quality, pre-existing illness - all of these are a recipe for a short-lived betta. Getting them a bigger tank with light filtration and a heater would be a big help, as would a regular maintenance routine.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote