Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #1 
jlllm

new to plants

I bought a plant from petsmart (they look so nice and healthy there and just stilling in gravel). I am not sure if I ended up with Cryptocoryne or Red Ludwigia (as it does have some red leaves). I got it about 2 weeks ago and it stated loosing its leaves right away. They start going indivisible and then float away in my 10 gallon tank. I'm not sure if I should just give up on it as there isn't much left. I got java moss (and it was brown to start with but doing well now and floats about). And I got a clipping of what I believe is Anubias (it seems to like my gravel). They seem to do better than the 1st plant. I don't have the light (2x15 watt bulbs) on more than a few hours a day as it raises the water temperature. I got a sword plant and a skinny (didn't really want it) onion plant today. I add aqueon aquarium plant food for the past week. Should I get more plants or wait and see what happens? I thought my betta and 2 frogs would enjoy real plants more and will be adding a small piece of driftwood tomorrow.

Last edited by jlllm; 05-19-2013 at 11:13 PM.
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 
10asartin

I would guess the plant is a crypt because of the leaf melting which is common with that species when it is introduced to a new aquarium. It should regrow its leaves eventually though.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #3 
10asartin

One note on the anubias, make sure you keep the rhizome above the gravel or it will rot and kill the plant.

I say the more plants the merrier!
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #4 
shimagoma

Aquatic plants are a special breed, crytps while great and can last you a super long time can be a bit finicky.
reasons for plant melting (not just crypts)

a-they were grown out of water and you put them totally into water. in this case they will drop their leaves and regrow ones suited to grow in water

b-new root location. same thing as above the will regrow

c- water params not right. in this case they will look different then the "melt" look, and can have holes and yellow spots on them

what you have sounds just like normal melt, just leave them be and make sure they get good light and some ferts and liquid cow (api co2 booster is okay but i love flourish excel, seachem brand!) and they should be fine! a planted tank takes about a month to feel really filled in :)
shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

If you post photos, we may be able to give a positive ID for you. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #6 
jlllm

Old 05-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #7 
jlllm

java fern not Anubias I guess