Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #1 
mellysmom

Help I know nothing about fish

Let me start off but saying I have never had fish. Yesterday I was at the mall with my two year old and she loves to see the animals at the pet store. Don't ask me how it happend but we wound up leaving with a beta. Anyway I got a"starter kit" (bowl,stones and food). We had a very busy day and as I was on my way to bed about an hour ago I realized that I hadn't fed him yet. I ment to sprinkle alittle food in but way too much came out. Too make a long story short the bowl was a mess so I put the fish in a cup and rinsed the bowl out. I filled it back up and put the fish back in. Now I can't sleep because I am so worried that I did something wrong and the last thing I need is for my daughter to find him dead in the morning. It would be great if someone could answer my questions tonight. Is tap water ok? What temperture should the water be? How much and how often should I be feeding him? Is there anything else I should know about taking care of him? Thanks in advance.
mellysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #2 
Amphitrite

Hello there mellysmon and welcome. Here's an article that will help get you started:

http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish/...are-faq-14871/

When changing your betta's water, you need to add water conditioner to remove chrorine/chloramines from the water.
Amphitrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #3 
mellysmom

I can get some water conditioner tomorrow morning will the fish be dead before that?
mellysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #4 
s72450

Definatly get some water conditioner and as far as feeding your little guy, two or three pellets once a day is what I usually feed my guys.

As far as temp, they are tropical fish so anywhere from high 70's to low 80's is where my tanks say at.

Congrats on your new addition, treat him well and he'll be a source of entertainment for you and your daughter for years to come.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #5 
Amphitrite

Hello mellysmom, just wondering - how did you get on?
Amphitrite is offline   Reply With Quote