Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #1 
Seki

Setting up a new tank... advice?

I recently purchased a Tetra Crescent 3 gallon kit from Meijer with the idea of keeping it as a back-up tank in case I should need it for some reason. But of course, with an empty tank sitting around, I just want to fill it and get another betta. I have cleared a space, bought decor for it, and am planning on setting it up today to get it running so that when I find the right little guy, he'll have a home waiting for him.

The last time I set up a tank (my 2.5 Aqueon Minibow), I ended up with inexplicably cloudy water. I rinsed the gravel many times, I boiled the decor and plants, I conditioned the water with Prime... I don't understand what happened. This never happened when I set up my 5 gallon, nor has it happened before in the 2.5 (It had had a crowntail in it who passed from old age, so I decided to change up the decor for my new VT).

Still, I decided to seek advice from you all on how to keep that from happening this time. I plan on rinsing the gravel at least a dozen times (if not more... until the water runs clear), boiling the roman ruins ornaments I bought, boiling the silk plants (although it tends to sort of ruin their shape... can I just rinse them in warm water?), and rinsing out the inside of the tank with plain water before I fill it. I will also rinse the filter and the filter cartridge before putting them in, as well as the heater and thermometer.

Am I missing any major things here?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #2 
Tubert

Sounds like youve got everything covered. just make sure to rinse the filter really good
Tubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #3 
Seki

Great, thanks! I hope my new dude likes his new home! :)
Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #4 
Tubert

I just purchased a dragon scale hm today
Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Because you rinsed out the filter you are probably going to have to cycle the tank. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #6 
Tubert

Your right. But you don't want any of the crud from the new filter getting in the water.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #7 
Seki

Okay, guys, I am at a bit of a loss... The filter claims it is supposed to be nearly silent, but mine is... not. It's obnoxious and sounds like it's vibrating. Anyone else have Tetra Whisper filters? This is in my bedroom, I'm not gonna be able to sleep with it vibrating like that... Any quick fixes I might try? It's not touching the sides or the gravel...
Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #8 
Whittni

My first filter that I bought did that, it was crap. I just bought a new one where it looks like the one from finding nemo and poors water out and isn't on the outside.
Whittni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #9 
Rana

I've heard not-so-great things about the Whisper line unfortunately, so you might want to look into a replacement if you've got the funds. I would suggest maybe wrapping any part that might be touching & rattling against a surface in foam, and/or maybe stuffing it full of filter floss to hopefully deaden the sound. Is it an internal or HOB?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #10 
Seki

Actually, I got the filter fixed. I took it apart and rinsed it in cold water like the directions suggested if it was loud. It was amazing... now it really is nearly silent! I hear the faint hum of my Aqueon Quietflow over any sound the Tetra Whisper is making. My bedroom is peaceful again~

For the record, though, it's an internal filter. :) I've never had one before, but I'm liking it a lot.