Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #1 
eden000

First live plant - hitchhikers

Hi guys!

I got my first live plant today - just a little anubias petit nana attached to some driftwood. I took it out of the baggie and put it in a tub of conditioned water, as I was told to quarantine it for a bit. As soon as it got into the tub, tiny shrimp-looking things starting swimming around, and I noticed that there are some really puny snails (both are smaller than the tip of a pencil eraser).

What should I do about this? The shrimp kind of freaked me out (I'm not a fan of bugs) but are they harmful? My betta would probably just eat them, right? How should I go about quarantining the plant, and killing the snails? My tank is only 2gal, so I really don't want snails taking over the bioload.

Please excuse my ignorance - any insights would be extremely helpful.
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #2 
rickey
Banned

Potassium permanganate dip or IF you don't have Potassium permanganate laying around 10 to 1 water to 3%Hydrogen peroxide for 1 minute

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #3 
Briz

As far as getting the snails out of the tank, you should manually remove them or squish them in the tank. Do not release the snails alive outside, as they can damage the natural ecosystem. There are a few different methods of trying to clean plants of hitchhikers, but some may prove harmful to the plants or not effective against everything. Here is a website showing some of the most common aquarium pests: http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is..._aquarium.html
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #4 
peachii

That's a very good article, I haven't seen that one. Bookmarked it to use for people later down the road.

--------

Are they baby cherry shrimp maybe? Or something else?

Moss and Anubias can be sensitive to excel and peroxide so dip with care on that plant.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #5 
eden000

Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I'll try to get hydrogen peroxide tomorrow or today. Regarding the shrimp, I don't think they're RCS. Maybe amano? Regardless, are they helpful or harmful? I was thinking that maybe they could help me clean my tank?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #6 
Laki

My experience with shrimp is that at the surface of the water they break away from whatever they're holding, and baby shrimp are VERY weak in terms of holding on to anything. I cannot see how shrimp would be hitched unless the employee purposely scooped the plant into a plastic bag from underneath, causing a live trap. Since this would be silly to do for a plant, I doubt it's a dwarf neocaridina type shrimp. Maybe seed shrimp (tiny ball shaped shelled shrimp).

Surprise me with a pic though!! haha you can see the hitchhiked bugs, I cannot.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #7 
eden000

Tried to get some pictures.. second one shows one of the snails, too, on the right.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

Why not put the shrimp in another container? Shrimp can be fun and enjoyable but the betta probably will eat them. As for snails when I got my plants I worried myself about them and probably cause my plants not to thrive with treatments. You can always get a assassin snail if they get out of hand. For the most part I have found them to be beneficial for cleaning my tank. My bettas eat the snail babies so they are helping to control them.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #9 
eden000

Hmm, good to know that I don't need to be super worried about the situation, jadablue! Maybe I'll just let things be and put the plant in. I really don't want to kill it with chemicals
Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #10 
Briz

They look like Copepods to me, but its hard to tell.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote