Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #11 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Myates, could you elaborate on your second paragraph a bit please? What was the system you used that didn't work out?
The large, shallow plastic tubs filled with water + aquarium heater..

Warm temps = lots of pests breeding in the water, gets stinky if you don't clean it out often enough (a pain in the butt when have lots of jars in there), the heater easily gets that calcium build up.. always having to replace water in there daily.. and the outside of the containers/jars gets slimy easily as well. And harder to see the fish without having to pick up the container.. which then you are dripping the water and gotta make sure none gets into other containers.. bleh!

I'm enjoying using the Heatflex... add that with beanie containers and I can see all my fish clearly, cleaning is quick, easy and less messy, and no added humidity!

Part of the old system on top, and then part of the new system on bottom - this was set up, so not everything is there/done.. but you get the idea. And you can see the difference on how many I can fit per shelf..
Attached Images

Last edited by Myates; 05-23-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #12 
trilobite

Interesting, whats heatflex?
My main method is similar to your old method and I dont like the look of it. Looks messy and is hard to view individual fish so am very keen to find a tidier looking method
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #13 
Myates

Erm I mean Flexwatt, not Heatflex.. I always get that confused >.<

It basically is a plastic sheet that you cut to the length you desire (new models you can cut to what you want, older models cut in 12" increments).. you connect wires to one side of the strips and then to each strip together.. so you can have multiple layers of the Flexwatt all together (makes heating simple).. it's all connected to a thermostat to control the temp.

The tape is cool to the touch except when on, then it's warm.. but not enough to burn you or the wood/table/shelf it's on.

It's used mainly for reptile breeders, etc.. but can be used for heating up plastic/glass jars for the fish as well.

Unfortunately I have to take off, so can't really explain it too much.. I would check out some videos on youtube for Flexwatt to get an idea. It's not all that expensive and it's safe.. the plastic is water proof, etc.

I can give more info/detail later, just have to leave now.. can also answer any specific questions you have :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #14 
trilobite

That sounds ideal. Ill have a look into it.
I cant find heat flex in nz but have found plant heat mat. http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living...-596740625.htm
They have a thermostat but I dont know if it will be able to heat high enough, although it also says it can be used for reptiles. What temp is yours set to? I'll have a hunt around
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #15 
Darth

I started Breeding in 73 with a mentor that was the famous Walt Marus.
He was a patient man to a kid asking every question he heard probley a million times, anyway yes..I would have liked to know about Micro worms and other foods back then I am sure I would have had better success!!
Also, instead of to many water changes, adding water instead and inch a week, results are far less losses when about 3 weeks THEN start to siphon!
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #16 
Deanna01

Darth, could you give me a good source to learn about microworms and other food sources? I will buy a BBS hatchery and eggs. I am considering attracting my own mosquito larvae, though I'm not wild about the notion. I'm really not finding a lot on raising other foods, though, though I see cultures available for them on Aquabid. What all does one need to raise?
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #17 
Darth

I got my first worm culture from Karen McCauley I think you can google it.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #18 
Deanna01

Thanks, Darth. Yeah, I can find information on the various cultures, but I haven't found what is best at what age. I need an infusoria culture at first, yes? And then, after a few weeks, other types? I will look into the microworms.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Fun tip for smaller fry: To get gunk off the bottom, instead of siphoning use a clear turkey baster. That's what I use!! You can also see if you nabbed any fry... Then let them settle to the tip of the baster, and let them glide out back into their tank.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #20 
Deanna01

Thanks, Sena! I definitely will add a turkey baster to my list of things to buy. :)