Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #1 
KevinGillbride

Heater accuracy

I don't know, but I don't think a lot of aquarium heaters aren't rated right for aquarium size, I have a 20 gal long which is probably really less than 20 gal but close enough right, anyway I started out with a 20 gal heater and I believe it killed an entire sorority of female bettas ,so I downgraded to a 10 and even at it's lowest setting it would get in and above the 90's, so now i have a 5 gallon aquarium heater and it's perfect, I do live in Texas and it's usually warm or hot so maybe that means something but my home is air conditioned

Last edited by KevinGillbride; 05-23-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: type-o
KevinGillbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

That's odd. I have various sized heaters & various brands & I've always had to get ones rated for my tank size or larger. My 46g actually has 2 heaters because one couldn't keep the tank temp right with the water circulation of the canister filter.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

What brand of heater have you been using? If a heater has a thermostat and automatic shut-off, it shouldn't turn itself on and heat the water unless your water temperature drops down below the set temperature. In summer when my room hits 28 degrees celsius, hardly any of my heaters come on.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #4 
KevinGillbride

they have all had thermostats with automatic shutoffs, I don't remember what brand they were probably marineland the first 3, a 20, 10 and a five after a couple of years i got a new 5 of a different brand because i heard you should replace the heater every year, maybe it has to do with tank depth, idk but the 5 works good.

Last edited by KevinGillbride; 05-24-2013 at 12:07 AM.
KevinGillbride is offline   Reply With Quote