Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #1 
Canis

Would this be Overstocking?

Three adult bettas (divided, of course) and three male guppies? A lightly planted 10g tank with weekly 50% water changes. Would that be too many fish?
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

IMO, the spaces between each divider wouldn't be enough for the fish to swim around & hide from each other. I think it'd stress them too much.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

+1

I wouldn't put more than 2 Bettas in a divided 10 gallon. JMO, though.

Were you going to put the guppies in with the Bettas? Wouldn't do that, either, because of fin nipping.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #4 
Canis

My problem is that I have two bettas already, and ended up getting one guppy that had been caught in a plant. I had to put the guppy on one of two sides of the divider, and the betta and guppy are ignoring each other right now. I have a baby betta that needs to go into the tank when it is a bit bigger. Would it be better just to run and get a critter keeper for the guppy and get two more guppies to keep him company? I have a spare heater for them if that is the case.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #5 
JellOh

The problem really isn't with overstocking, it's the fact that guppies need at least 10 gallons of swimming room. Technically they are in a 10 gallon tank, but they don't have 10 gallons to move around in. I'd divide the tank for the three bettas and get the guppy his own 10 gallon with a few guppy friends.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

If you can, put the guppies in a 10 gallon with the baby Betta and hope for the best. If it didn't work out you could divide the second 10 gallon. I've kept a guppies in a 5 gallon with no problems. While not a schooling fish, guppies do like the company of their own. Get at least two more; odd numbers work best.

At least you didn't get pond snails as your hitchhiker! Guppies are a lot more fun.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 05-23-2013 at 11:33 PM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

Guppies in a 5 gallon = far from ideal, though.

I second the idea of 2 ten gallon tanks. That way you can have the first divided two or three ways for your bettas and have the second for the guppies and possibly a docile betta.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #8 
Canis

My mom would kill me if I asked to get another 10g, she was incredibly reluctant to let me get the one I have. Maybe if I put one betta in a 3g critter keeper and undivide the tank for now? I'll have to figure out a plan for the baby later, but he/she won't be big enough for a while yet I think.