Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #1 
eric1115

Unhappy Longtail female or a male

Hi everyone,
Just looking for some help here. I have a female sorority up for 3 months with 11 betta in a cycled 36 gallon heavily planted tank. They have been fine other than some very minor fin nipping until yesterday where I came home and found 1 dead with all the fins eaten. Water parameters are all good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. All girls are eating well and swimming happily with some chasing once in a while. What I need advice on is two of the girls might be male now that I started to do more research but not sure as they both have very obvious ovipositor and don't fight at all. They actually swim together all the time. The other girls are afraid of them and avoid them.

I am not sure if either one kill that one girl as I don't see them going after any girls when I am around and I spend approximately 5 -6 hours watching them each day.

I have temporary remove one of them, the red one (the more agressive one) to a temporary tank and left the other one in the tank for now.

Appreciate if anyone can help me identify if they are female and if I should remove the other one or put the one I remove back int the tank.

I have attached picture of them.

Thank you for reading and advices.
Attached Images

eric1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #2 
jona31

I cant really make it out one definitely looks like a male though hmmmmm?
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

Do you have any pictures that clearly show their ventral fins? I find those are the most useful ones for sexing longfin females - male ventrals tend to be fatter.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #4 
Rana

I'm fairly sure that females as a rule have pretty short fins, and those look a bit too long in my non-expert opinion. Is it possible it was a young betta that is just now having it's growth spurt? My very-definitely-male has an ovipositor, so it's not a sure sign of sex. I think it was a good all to separate it out anyway, if it was stressing out the rest of the sorority. The second looks like it might be a female because of body shape and short ventrals, but I really don't have the experience to say for certain.

Also, I'm sorry you lost one of your girls. :(
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #5 
Vier

Top looks male..bottom.. fins make me think male but the body is throwing me off, very plump and femaleish..maybe a better pic? I have a female with some long fins too.
Vier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

I just want to confirm for everybody that you can indeed get longfin females. I have had two.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #7 
Laki

I agree, females can have long fins. Can you see a little white dot right behind its ventral fins? And could you get a better pic of its ventral hanging down?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #8 
Rana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I just want to confirm for everybody that you can indeed get longfin females. I have had two.
I had no idea! You learn something new every day. :3
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I agree, a picture of the ventrals would help but that anal fin looks really pointed to be a female.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #10 
jesssan2442

IMO the top one is a male and the bottom one is long fin female... a better picture will help determine better!!

if either one is a female and they are agressive you should get a breeder net and put the agressive one in the net for a week... I don't have a sorority yet but, I'll have one soon and I've heard this works sometimes!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote