Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #1 
ktmrox11

Uncategorized emergency!

Hi guys,
I kinda have an emergency, and I didn't know what category to put it under so I just filed it under betta chat. I recently bought a 2.5 tank and had two african dwarf frogs, an algae eater, and three snails in there. the frogs were very interactive and also sometimes played with the algae eater. I know some may consider this overstocked ( it probably is) but they all seem to get along fine and they are at different levels and eat the food alright so I thought it was okay. Anyways, I just went to Petco and got one of those baby bettas. I had no idea how much more work they would be. the one I got looks to be about 6-7 weeks :-/ I think she is a veiltale female though of course I can't be sure, just suspicions at this point. ANYWAYS, my tank mates don't get along very well at all anymore! The baby betta has been exploring her new tank and seems to like it alright but the frogs stare at her menacingly and I am SO scared they are going to do something to her since they could probably grasp her in their mouths and kill her. Once one snapped at her. Luckily, she is smart and swims away whenever they lurch at her (lucky for me, the frogs don't chase much, just jump once or twice and then lose interest). The frogs kick each other a lot now and I even saw one of the frogs nip at the algae eater's tail! what is going on?!? They used to be such good friends. I thought BETTAS were the aggressive ones, and since she was a baby, it would be okay. what should I do?
I have a 2.5 gallon tank with no filter (I do 40% water changes once a week), a few fake plants and some rocks. Here are some additional questions:
The betta pellets I bought are too big for my baby betta's mouth. Right now I am feeding her primarily freeze dried bloodworms as she seems to like those and can eat them with no problem. But will keeping her on this diet make her unhealthy or "spoiled"? Besides, the frogs like these too. I'm afraid they will steal all her food while I am away at school and the like.
Other things I should know about raising a baby betta? should get more decorations? A sponge filter? Thanks in advance for your advice!
ktmrox11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

I am afraid as you suspected your tank is very overstocked and sooner or later you are going to lose your fish. You really need a separate tank for the two fish, I do not know much about these frogs as I live in Australia and we don't have them here but I believe some people feed them guppies and sooner or later they are going to attempt to make a meal out of your fish. I would get a separate tank for your two fish. The betta will also need a heater just in case you didn't know. I am unsure whether the frogs are a threat to the snails.....

To feed your baby betta you need to crush some pellets for her as she needs a balanced diet. Freeze dried blood worms are actually not a suitable diet for a betta at all. They are known culprits for causing bloat and constipation both of which can lead to death. They also contain hardly any nutrients.

Just crush the pellets into bite size for her and she should soon accept them. You could also offer her some frozen foods (not freeze dried) such as daphnia or brine shrimp or mosquito larvae. She would love those but also needs the pellets to ensure a balanced diet.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #3 
ktmrox11

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
I am afraid as you suspected your tank is very overstocked and sooner or later you are going to lose your fish. You really need a separate tank for the two fish, I do not know much about these frogs as I live in Australia and we don't have them here but I believe some people feed them guppies and sooner or later they are going to attempt to make a meal out of your fish. I would get a separate tank for your two fish. The betta will also need a heater just in case you didn't know. I am unsure whether the frogs are a threat to the snails.....

To feed your baby betta you need to crush some pellets for her as she needs a balanced diet. Freeze dried blood worms are actually not a suitable diet for a betta at all. They are known culprits for causing bloat and constipation both of which can lead to death. They also contain hardly any nutrients.

Just crush the pellets into bite size for her and she should soon accept them. You could also offer her some frozen foods (not freeze dried) such as daphnia or brine shrimp or mosquito larvae. She would love those but also needs the pellets to ensure a balanced diet.
The frogs and algae eater and snails had been living together for 5 months with no incident before I got them. I think they are fine together. And many people say and have good experiences with african dwarf frogs (not to be confused with the african clawed frog) being tank mates for bettas. My only concern is how small the betta is due to her young age. But I feel in love with her at Petco and just HAD to take her home I will definitely start crushing her pellets. any recommendations for how to go about doing this? They're already so small!
In addition, i do have a heater. But my house's room temperature is sitting comfortably at 80 degrees and my aquarium thermometer tells me that my aquarium is the same, so I'm not going to install my heater until I need it, likely in the winter.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #4 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
I believe some people feed them guppies and sooner or later they are going to attempt to make a meal out of your fish.
Veggiegirl, You're thinking of African Clawed Frogs. African Dwarf frogs stay small. Females max out at an inch and a half (3.81 cm), and males are smaller. I have female guppies that are longer than my ADFs stretched out, but those females are bite sized for my ACFs.

A 2.5 is cramped for just the two frogs, a five gallon is recommended (by other Dwarf frog keepers/breeders) for up to 5 adult frogs, with appropriate water changes, and filtration.

The 2.5 would be suitable for your betta, and not much else. There are too many fish labeled as "algae eaters" for me to help with how much space it should have, or whether it should be housed with other members of its species.

Your frogs may be more territorial than most, which would explain why they were bothering the Algae eater, and lunging at your betta.

OR, you were actually sold ACFs instead of ADFs, which can, and does happen!

Do they have webbed fingers on all four feet?
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #5 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrox11 View Post
The frogs and algae eater and snails had been living together for 5 months with no incident before I got them. I think they are fine together. And many people say and have good experiences with african dwarf frogs (not to be confused with the african clawed frog) being tank mates for bettas.
A couple of the Canadian members have had issues with ADFs attacking bettas. Every animal is an individual, and not all of them are compatible with other animals (know someone who has an ADF that attacks his other ADFs), which may very well be the case here.

When I got my petco babies, and then my babies from another user, I fed them crushed Omega One flakes. I'm currently weaning them over to New Life Spectrum betta pellets, they're the smallest I could find, and they're perfectly sized for small mouths.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #6 
ktmrox11

I'm like, 99% positive they are ADFs and not ACFs. A previous owner kept them and told me they were ADFs, but they do have webbing on all four and they don't seem agressive enough from what I've read about ACFs to be ACFs. Sorry to keep abbreviating. For teh algae eater, i THINK its a siamese algae eater but I can't be certain because the previous owner kind of just handed him off to me and said, here, he comes with the frogs. Um...okay? But for the time being, what should I do about them being territorial at my betta? I don't currently have another tank to house my frogs/ fish in (well, I do, but my mom probably won't let me move them). If I upgraded all of them to a larger tank, would that help at all?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

I don't think there's anything that you can do to disperse the aggression towards your baby, and leaving her in there with the frogs and the siamese algae eater (which are rated as aggressive) is only going to stress that baby sick. You'd be better off to move her to a different container, even if it's a large tupperware container.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #8 
ktmrox11

So, will my baby betta and frogs never be able to live together? i will have to keep my betta in a large tupperware container for the rest of her life???
Old 05-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #9 
veggiegirl

Oh right sorry my mistake..... frog keeping isn't big over here.....some people have green tree frogs but they are not what you would call aqautic. Maybe you are just having troubles because they are cramped in such a small space. If you get them a bigger tank they might get along fine because they won't feel that they need to compete for space so much.

Crushing the pellets.....hmmmm. Maybe put them in a couple of freezer bags and hit them with a rolling pin or clean hammer or something. You might be able to stick some in the blender but being then pellets are already small I am not sure how well that would work. I crush medicated tablets for my fish by putting the tablet on a pudding spoon and use the plastic handle of a sharp knife to push down and crush the tablet or food. Be really careful if you use a knife though because obviously the blade is sharp and you don't want any accidents. You could try sitting the pellets in a spoon or crushing them with another spoon.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #10 
ktmrox11

Oh my gosh! I crushed some of her pellets between my fingers and started giving them to her, problem solved! The frogs don't jump up to get her food because they don't see the small crushed pellets, I realized that they were only going in for her freeze dried bloodworms. Thanks so much for your help, everyone!

Tags
algae eater, baby, emergency, frogs, snails