Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #21 
Livelifelaughlove

I haven't had to euthonize any bettas, but i did work for a year in the watershed out here. We handled Salmon/trout Frys and smolts.
As it was said, you shouldn't touch the slimy part of the fish unless nec. since the slime protects against infection, and once the slime is gone, there is almost no protection if they get cuts...
But we did have to knock the fish unconscience to take their weight and size. We did this by putting alkaseltzer in the water, which took out the oxygen in the water... but i guess since they breathe air like we do this won't work...

I read in a betta book the best way to euthonize a fish is to place it in boiling water... i don't think i could do this. and i suspect there is a much better way to do it...

but i really hope he gets better first!
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

This may sound bad but I would rather let the fish die on their own. If I used the clove oil method, I'd worry that I didn't do it right, causing the fish to suffer even more because I didn't know what I was doing.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #23 
veganchick

dramaqueen, I agree. I have never killed a fish, they can reccover from the worst stuff and surprise you like my betta did! I think you should just give him the best life possible until he passes away.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #24 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, sometimes they DO recover when we think they are just about dead. I didn't think my rescue betta was going to make it when I got him over a year ago. He lived in HORRIBLE conditions before I got him. I couldn't even tell what color he was because the water was FILTHY! But he recovered but like yours, he still has problems off and on. He's floating on his side right now because he has swimbladder issues from being knocked out of his bowl before I got him. All we can do, like you said is give them the best life we can and give them lots of tlc. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #25 
Kim

Yeah, if he's the only fish in the tank and there is no really horrible pain evident I feel that it is the most humane to let them go on their own. I really have only euthanized one fish which was a guppy that was basically exploding from the inside out. It was pretty gruesome, and the fish was obviously in terrible pain. It just seems like their last right to die on their own terms.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #26 
Cody

Euthanization is only an option for when the are in pain, and is used when nothing else will work. In my view, if we can obviously see they are in pain and nothing can work, then you shouldn't let them go on their own. But only then.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #27 
Sailor Nova

I had wanted to wait until I heard from you guys what to do but after the stroke, he refused to eat anything and banged his face kinda hard a lot! He didn't acknowledge me most of the time and when he did, he stared at me with his now pale face as if trying to tell me he was in a lot of pain! All the evidence suggested he was in horrible pain and would have starved himself to death slowly! I couldn't bear seeing him in such pain so I put him in a plastic baggie with just enough water to cover him and made sure there was air in it then closed it shut and placed him in the freezer. On the walk to the freezer, he didn't stop staring at me and I really think he was telling me that I was doing right by him. He died quickly and I believe painlessly. My mom threw him next to our
outside fountain. However, his dead body lying there made me so sad that last night I decided to bury him.
I didn't want to though because I'm very sad and since I'm a Christian who also is into the fairy faith, I asked
the fairies to take his body away during the night and my mom told me this morning that she didn't see him
there anymore! I didn't have to bury him! I thanked the fairies, I don't even care if it was a cat who took him away because he's now gone. I do want to get another betta fish in the spring. I estimate that Carson was about 2 years old when he came to live with me and he lived a couple months shy of 2 years with me! I believe he was 4 years old when he passed. NOTE: Fairies are angelic beings accidentally blown outta Heaven when
Lucifer tried to take over God's throne.
I seen a fire red betta in one of our local pet stores. He was slightly bigger than Carson and I'm wondering
if I'm meant to save him? He looked right at me and seemed to like me! Carson was alive back then, I was looking for gravel for his new tank. However, if he might not live long, I shouldn't get him....maybe a small young betta? I don't want one that looks like Carson although the tank was designed around his coloring!
Sailor Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #28 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmnemms View Post
I haven't had to euthonize any bettas, but i did work for a year in the watershed out here. We handled Salmon/trout Frys and smolts.
As it was said, you shouldn't touch the slimy part of the fish unless nec. since the slime protects against infection, and once the slime is gone, there is almost no protection if they get cuts...
But we did have to knock the fish unconscience to take their weight and size. We did this by putting alkaseltzer in the water, which took out the oxygen in the water... but i guess since they breathe air like we do this won't work...

I read in a betta book the best way to euthonize a fish is to place it in boiling water... i don't think i could do this. and i suspect there is a much better way to do it...

but i really hope he gets better first!
After reading the above I felt like I needed to post this (copied from a post on our forum):

Most Humane Methods:

Chemical Overdose:
MS-222: This is really the only method approved by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) as humane that is available to the home hobbyist. It is commonly used as an anesthetic on fish and so the fish will become sedated and free of any pain when using this method. This substance comes in a power that you should mix with a bit of water before using. Place the fish in a small container and slowly add the MS-222 solution while watching for slowing gill movement. Once gill movement has completely ceased for 60 seconds the fish is no longer alive. Finquel is one brand commonly found in the US, but will probably need to be purchased online.
Clove Oil: Similar effects to MS-222 but it can be purchased over the counter at most pharmacies and health stores. It can be added directly to the water with no preparation before hand, however, it is not completely water-soluble so it is best to mix with a bit of ethanol (grain alcohol such as vodka) before using. The process is the same as with MS-222.
Ethanol: This is a grain alcohol, as pure as possible, such as vodka or tequila. The alcohol should be completely clear and as high a proof as you can acquire. This works similarly to the two methods above.

Other Conditionally Acceptable Methods:
Blunt Force Trauma: This method is not as humane as the ones listed above as the time spent lying out of water is stressful. It also introduces problems such as the aim of the person performing it. I would only recommend it for fishes which are too large to be accommodated in another way. Wrap the fish in a damp paper towel and use a large, heavy object such as a brick. Best if the fish is first sedated.
Temperature Shock: A container of water is placed in the freezer (without the fish!) and allowed to become as close to freezing as possible. Then break the surface, which should be frozen, and place the fish in the water. When performed properly it will instantly shock the fish’s nervous system and stop all organ function. Best if the fish is first sedated. NOTE- this is not an acceptable method for coldwater fish

Unacceptable Methods-
Decapitation: Studies show that nerves will still fire for approximately 10 seconds after the brain is severed
Flushing
Freezing (this is different from temperature shock as the water has not been pre-chilled)
Alka-Seltzer- effectively suffocates the fish by releasing CO2. The AVMA lists CO2 as acceptable for terrestrial animals, but it should not be confused with aquatic animals.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #29 
Sailor Nova

Quote:
Ethanol: This is a grain alcohol, as pure as possible, such as vodka or tequila. The alcohol should be completely clear and as high a proof as you can acquire. This works similarly to the two methods above.
We don't drink so I don't know how to get just the small amount necessary for future fish...
Quote:
Unacceptable Methods-
Decapitation: Studies show that nerves will still fire for approximately 10 seconds after the brain is severed
Flushing
Freezing (this is different from temperature shock as the water has not been pre-chilled)
Alka-Seltzer- effectively suffocates the fish by releasing CO2. The AVMA lists CO2 as acceptable for terrestrial animals, but it should not be confused with aquatic animals.
I was told this was the humane method! I carried Carson in the plastic baggie with enough water to cover his body and enogh air to breathe until he would go to sleep and die! He stared at me the whole walk to the fridge as if to say to my crying face that he understood and wanted to go! I'm upset that since I could get only one opinion on euthanazia and this was it, I used this method and now I'm told, I
didn't do it right! I'm glad to have this info now but I hate that I was given incomplete info! At least I
now know that I was right not to flush him while he was still alive like this girl did on YouTube! I feel sorry for us first time pet/fish owners who don't have this info when we need it! Carson was in pain,
I know it because he wouldn't eat, was pale and in a permanent S shape that didn't vary at all! He couldn't get out of that shape! He probably didn't even sleep that night! I just wish I knew what caused his stroke since I did everything right when I cleaned his tank! I still miss him and cry but as the days go by it gets better...
Can someone tell me when is the best time to get another one and should I get the red one like I mentioned in the previous post I made or should I get a younger one? I need to know!
Sailor Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #30 
ThalesthePearsei

Oh wow. I actually just found that video on youtube. She flushes a whole tank of fish, including a betta. Because the tank smelled. wow. tanks dont smell when you take proper care of them. ugh, what a lazy moron. poor fishes. i hope they didnt suffer long.
ThalesthePearsei is offline   Reply With Quote