Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #1 
Bettacrab

Honestly do you hate bowls?

Disclaimer: Please no hate

So I can't be the only who doesn't hate bowls.
Is there anyone else who feels bowls aren't bad to your betta?
I mean they are better then cups at the petstore. And they can still be heated.
Also some people say a 1 gallon tank is better then a 2 gallon bowl? But some bowls like biorb are big, seriously who doesn't hate bowls.

I DON'T KEEP MY BETTAS IN BOWLS (sorry caps) I have 1 in a 10 gallon, 1 in a 3 gallon, and 1 in a 2.5 gallon. But what's wrong with bowls.
Bettacrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #2 
Aus

"Honestly do you hate bowls?"

I'm not really sure whether you want an honest answer or not... (yes, I hate them)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #3 
shannonpwns

I don't think there's anything wrong with bowls.... Whether people want to admit it or not, I'm sure more people than you think have bettas in 1+ gallon bowls when they have a ton of bettas. Unless they're in a sorority of course. Some people may just be ashamed to admit it, because of all the harsh words and negative reactions from some people.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have my 5 bettas in 1.5-2.5 gal tanks at the moment. I have a 5 gal also set up for a new fish I'm getting next week. And I do have plans of having a 15 gallon sorority soon to house 5 females. But I always plan to have my males (except the one on display in my living room) in 2.5 gallon tanks. All have heaters and lids and plants and hidey holes and lights, btw. And get a 100% WC every 3 days. I'm a stay at home mom, so it doesn't bother me to do the WCs. My 1 gals get a 100% WC every other day though.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #4 
Riverotter

I think bowls are beautiful, when big enough and done properly.
I have a 5G bowl (which holds 4G of water when you leave good airspace) with a betta on my desk. It is planted and has a light, and he is very happy in it.

I also have a 2G (really 1.5) bowl of snails. There are a couple of common (much smaller then fancy) guppies in it as well, because otherwise, any mosquito that gets in the house lays eggs in it, and I don't need a skeeter hatchery. That one is also planted and gets a partial water change every day.

My 2G bowl is as small a bowl as I'd use, but I see no difference at all between a gallon of water in a bowl as opposed to a different shape of container.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #5 
Polkadot

I definitely don't like those horrible teeny tiny 'barely bowls' that they have for bettas,but I don't hate nice big bowls,but I do much prefer tanks.My first little betta boy Link lived in a big bowl (about 4 gallons) and he was the loveliest little happy boy.But as I have learned more about looking after bettas I do much prefer the tanks & wouldn't have another bowl.And even though dear little Link was very happy and with me for ages,it makes me sad that I didn't know then what I do now,as I would have loved him in one of the tanks my boys are in now.
Polkadot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #6 
kjnewcome

We had a 1g bowl for our female betta she is did just fine in it on the kitchen counter. She lived for nearly 5 yrs. I have 2 of my bettas in bowls now but I am upgrading them to at least 5g tanks. I think with proper care a bowl can be just fine. :)
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #7 
shellieca

I don't hate bowls if they're the proper size & maintained properly, same with a tank. Some are absolutely beautiful.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #8 
trilobite

I quite like bowls, they look nice when done properly. They are horrible when overstocked, or unsuitable water conditions are used...but the same can be said for tanks too.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #9 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
I kind of prefer tanks, just because bowls dissort my fishies. But like most of the other users said, I don't think there is anything wrong with them as long as whatever in there has enough room, and is cared for properly.
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #10 
Bettacrab

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't hate bowls. BTW feel free to post pics of your bowl.
When I first got my betta sunny he lived in a 2 gallon bowl but now he's in a 2.5 gallon tank.
Bit I mean as long as a bowl has good water and good heat then it's fine.
I'd love to hear from more people.
Ad you can comment if you don't like bowls but you have to say why you hate them.
Bettacrab is offline   Reply With Quote