Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #1 
Tonksy

Question Swollen Belly in Male Rescue

My rescue finally made it through the treatment for Velvet. It's been two weeks and his color's come back and he has an even bigger appetite than before. However, I noticed that his belly has become swollen. I'm hoping it isn't Dropsy... Pictures are underneath the info

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? No, the fish room is heated so every tank I own is at a constant 80 degrees
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze Dried Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? every day with once a week fasting.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week (although he just moved into this home after the Velvet treatment so I have yet to perform a change)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator. I've also been adding aquarium salt due to the velvet.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water?
No... I don't have any more strips. :(

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His belly is swollen. I also noticed he has a white spot on his underbelly (kind of like a female's egg spot?)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't changed. He was always perky even when he had Velvet. He loves to eat and is very active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today. I've been keeping him under a blanket in case the Velvet comes back
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. I rescued him from a fish store when he had velvet.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. I would guess a few months to a year.

It was hard to get a picture of him. He swims around all excitedly, but as you can see he is bloated. It's sort of like someone stuck a really round bubble to his belly.

Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Aquarium salt is great for external issues. However, it contains sodium, which can contribute to fluid retention and bloating. It looks like this is what your guy is dealing with now.

So he gets moved back into non-salted water today? That alone might be enough to resolve the issue. The non-salty water will cause him to lose a lot of that fluid buildup.

If he remains bloated more than a day or two after you put him back into non-salted water, you can try fasting for a day or two. If that doesn't work, let us know. You can add a low dose of Epsom salt.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #3 
LostxinthexMusic

I don't know about the bloating, but in an unfiltered 1-gal, you should be changing his water more often, and you should feed him pellets along with the bloodworms; they don't have all the nutrients he needs.
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes, Freeze-dried anything are known to cause bloat/constipation issue along with the fluid retention that LittleBlueFishlet's described.

I'd ditch the Freeze-dried things and save that for a treat maybe once a week and get some high quality pellets, frozen foods or live foods to help him out a little more :)
As many on this forum, I suggest New Life Spectrum or Omega One if you can find them. I feed my girls/guys a variation, mostly NLS during the week, Omega One towards the weekend and 1-2 freeze-dried BW's on saturday with a fast Monday and Tuesday.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #5 
Tonksy

Thanks guys for the help! When I get home tonight I'll get that salt out of there. I also have a lot of pellets, but I have been feeding him only bloodworms as of right now. I was planning on starting him on the pellets next week. I just wanted to keep him on one food until treatments were over, especially since he refused to eat anything else. Didn't want to stress him out more as he healed. :)
I had added more salt this morning... I'm dumb. I hope he'll be okay until I get home. D:

@Lost- He has been in that tank for less than a week. (Probably half of a week.) I do regular water changes according to each tank size. Today would be the first scheduled water change out of two. Also, as I mentioned to LittleBettaFish and lilnaugrim above, I have had him on only bloodworms because I did not want to keep switching around foods as he was healing up. Especially since he wouldn't eat them.
Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonksy View Post
Thanks guys for the help! When I get home tonight I'll get that salt out of there. I also have a lot of pellets, but I have been feeding him only bloodworms as of right now. I was planning on starting him on the pellets next week. I just wanted to keep him on one food until treatments were over, especially since he refused to eat anything else. Didn't want to stress him out more as he healed. :)
I had added more salt this morning... I'm dumb. I hope he'll be okay until I get home. D:

@Lost- He has been in that tank for less than a week. (Probably half of a week.) I do regular water changes according to each tank size. Today would be the first scheduled water change out of two. Also, as I mentioned to LittleBettaFish and lilnaugrim above, I have had him on only bloodworms because I did not want to keep switching around foods as he was healing up. Especially since he wouldn't eat them.
Well if he wouldn't eat them that's one thing, but being fed a variety of food isn't going to stress that out IMHO. At least, that's been my experience, but if you feel that it is better for him then you can keep it that way for now. Just know that it does cause constipation issues which is what could be happening at the moment. :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated belly, swollen belly