Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #1 
newbie948

New tank!!

i just got my new 5 gallon tank setup for my betta. the box says to wait 24 hours before adding fish. my betta is currently in a .5 gallon bowl. do i have to wait 24 hours?
newbie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #2 
iamntbatman

Ideally, you should wait much longer than that. It's best to cycle an aquarium completely before adding any fish. Cycling can take anywhere from two weeks to two months.

Here are some articles on the aquarium cycle:
http://www.fishforum.com/freshwater-...ium-cycle-252/
http://www.fishforum.com/member-subm...-methods-3067/

However, since you already have the fish, it might be better just to move him into the new tank right away and let the tank cycle with the fish in it. However, doing this can be very tricky as you will have to do water changes in order to keep ammonia and nitrite levels at a minimum while the tank cycles. The best way to monitor the progress of the cycle and know when to do a water change is to be able to test your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). A good liquid test kit, like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, is an essential tool for any fishkeeper as it will let you test these parameters and keep your fish healthy and happy.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #3 
Kim

If you are not planning on cycling the tank, then waiting 24 hours won't do a thing except let any chlorine dissipate out of your tap water. If you have a good water conditioner this is not necessary.

Definitely read up about cycling.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:19 AM   #4 
s72450

Your little guy is going to feel like a king in his new tank! I recently moved my guy from a 1.5g to a 5.5g and he's loving it. Good luck!
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote