Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #1 
Rana

New Guy, Red Patch?

Anybody know if this guy's red patch is a marking or some sort of injury? It's not raised, and looks like it might be some missing scales unless they're just colored red- he does have red on his fins so I thought it might be possible. We literally brought him home less than a day ago, so if it is an injury I'm betting the warm clean water in his new tank will do wonders. I'd just like some help figuring out which it is. :3

He's in a 2.5g as of last night with fresh clean water and stresscoat+; the temperature went a little crazy because the heater is non-adjustable so it was 86* all last night. (New heater is on the way!)

I'll fill out a form if y'all want, but it seems kind of silly when he's been in his tank not even 24 hours yet.
Attached Images

Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Its hard to tell from the pic. Does it look like a cut? I think I'd just keep an eye it to see if it worsens. You're right, clean, warm, conditioned water & quality food will do wonders for him.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #3 
Rana

Yeah sorry about the quality, he's a bit camera shy so it was tough getting anything vaguely decent. If it's still the same tomorrow I'll see about getting some better pics when he's eating or something.

It doesn't look like an open wound, more like he maybe scraped a layer off his scales and the red is what was underneath. Either that or he just has a patch where his scales are red, though I don't think I've seen a betta with a pattern like that.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Yeah the pattern is what looks odd. Usually when its coloring its more of a splotch. So long as its not raised or gashed I'd just keep his water clean & watch it. Keep us posted, I'm curious about it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #5 
Rana

That's what I figured, if it was a marking I'd assume the edges would look much cleaner/solid. I'm not freaking out (much) since he was just rescued, and he seems to be feisty and eating well so if it's a wound it's probably minor. I will definitely report back if anything changes, and hopefully I'll even get some better pictures!