Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #41 
Polkadot

In all the petstores I've been to here the signs where the fish are always call them 'Fighter Fish',I've only ever seen 'Betta' written on tanks or food.
Polkadot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #42 
Bombalurina

Yeah, calling them Siamese Fighting Fish or just Fighters is way more common over here than people calling them bettas. I can't decide if it's a good or bad thing - on one hand, it gives a pretty clear indication that you shouldn't keep them together, but on the other hand it encourages idiots to do so anyway, and promotes the idea that bettas can never ever have companions of any kind.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #43 
LittleBettaFish

I was watching a show the other day and bettas were referred to as "Japanese Fighting Fish". Then a little while later in the pet section of a woman's magazine, they had written the same thing.

Don't know why people call them Japanese Fighting Fish when they don't even come from Japan.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #44 
AyalaCookiejar

I think most people could care less because they either see them as cheap disposable entertainment or decorations. They obviously aren't endangered, either.

I wish there could be at least some type of regulation. I mean, cats and dogs normally are supposed to be licensed. Dog fighting is illegal and they shut down puppy mills and stuff when they aren't being properly cared for and animals can be taken from irresponsible owners. I watch animal cops and animal precinct a lot. You won't see police walking into a house and taking away fish like they will take away emaciated dogs and cats and horses. They can get warrants for that.

But fish are easier to hide and unlike dog fighting, the fish aren't dangerous to humans.

That I think would be more important than correct pronunciation. I mean any place is allowed to sell fish. Members here have said they sell them at craft stores?! What?

I went to Walmart yesterday and they were giving away the fish for free because they're replacing all their tanks. The employees were clueless and this lady walked out with two bags FILLED with fish! I asked her the size of her tank, she said 10 gallon. I told her all those fish would die and she said, "no, I think they'll be fine. My fish need some friends!" Like 50 of them?

She'll add all those fish at once and watch as they all die and then wish that she had listened to me. At least I tried...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #45 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I think most people could care less...
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw.
Not to be picky, but since this is a language-related thread. ;) :p

Silliness, aside, that is awful. People may go on about the legislative difficulties and expenses, but petshop employees ought to have to pass an exam before being allowed to sell living creatures. Surely it's worth the hassle to stop sentient beings dying horribly. But then, like you said, people barely regard fish as sentient.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #46 
whiskandbowl

I have more trouble with plant names than fish names! (yes, yes, I know it's bettuh, not baytuh and plah kot not plah kat, but old habits die hard!)

Anacharis- is it anna-car-iss?
Anubias- ann- oo- buy- iss?
Cryptocoryne- I usually give up and say crypts
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #47 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw.
Not to be picky, but since this is a language-related thread. ;) :p

Silliness, aside, that is awful. People may go on about the legislative difficulties and expenses, but petshop employees ought to have to pass an exam before being allowed to sell living creatures. Surely it's worth the hassle to stop sentient beings dying horribly. But then, like you said, people barely regard fish as sentient.
Lol, I died on that video! That's great thank you.

All Petco (don't know about petsmart or walmart) but they do have to take rigorous tests to be certified for selling animals (my friend just got her cert for fish) but of course it doesn't include the pronunciations.

And as far as plants go, yeah I've got troubles with those too.

I'm pretty sure that Cryptocoryne, the last part is just pronounced as "corn" but I could just be making that up entirely! lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #48 
Hallyx
Reference Team

uh-NOO--bee-iss

a-NAK-uh-ris

What's the right way to pronounce Cryptocoryne? Corn? Really?

I wonder about Rotala, too.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #49 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
What's the right way to pronounce Cryptocoryne? Corn? Really?

I wonder about Rotala, too.
I can't tell if you're making fun of me or really asking lol

I have a feeling that Rotala is ro-tah-lah, at least that's how we say it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #50 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Not in any way making fun of you, Lil. KRIP-toe-corn just sounded silly to me ;-}

Ro-TA-luh Right?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote