Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

I'm torn...

I'm moving in two months, and a month after that, I'm leaving for college. I have three bettas: one baby male (I believe), one female, and one male (with cataracts, I think). I have two 3 gallon critter keepers, one 10 gallon tank, one 4 gallon bowl, and two 5 gallon tanks. Currently, my baby is in a heated 3 gallon critter keeper, and my male and female are in a divided heated and filtered 10 gallon.

In college, each dorm room is allowed a total of 10 gallons. My roommate wants to have a fish tank too, so I was thinking I would bring my 5 gallon instead of my 10, but I'm not comfortable with putting two in one divided 5 gallon... So, I was thinking. Since my male is an old guy with cataracts, maybe I could put him in a planted 5 gallon and take him to college with me, while I leave my baby and female at home, in the divided 10 gallon... I have siblings and parents at home that could feed them for me, and I'll be able to come home to visit on the weekends to clean the tank.

I've considered rehoming the baby or the female, but it breaks my heart. I don't want to give up either of them, but I don't know if I feel comfortable leaving them both in a 10 gallon, even though it'll be divided. At least if it's just one of them in the 10 gallon alone, it might be easier on me so I don't feel like I need to rush home every weekend to clean it. I think I could get away with two weeks without cleaning it, if it only had one betta in it.

What do you guys think? I feel like my male requires more care and attention, especially if he does wind up going blind. I would rather keep him where I can keep an eye on him all the time. I feel bad for not bringing all three with me, but I'm not sure what else I can do.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #2 
Rana

Maybe you could divide a 10g four ways? It's certainly big enough to hold a stable cycle, and that would leave 2.5g for each section which is reasonable. That way you'd have your three bettas and your roommate could have one as well.

Also, I don't know how your school operates but I used to be an RA which meant I did room inspections, and if something wasn't in plain sight (ie it was covered) we couldn't uncover it to check it out. So if you're willing to bend the rules, and if your school does things the same as mine, you and your roommate could have a 'legitimate' 5g tank each (or even the 10g divided three ways), and then you would also bring an extra tank (or heck, two if you have the space) and cover it with a towel/box/stuff it in a closet when inspections come around.

Most RAs or student leaders are fine with bending the rules if you're reasonable about it, in my experience. And an extra fish tank with well-cared-for fish is a much lesser concern than some of the things I've seen students try and have in their rooms, let me tell you. Or go the above-board route, and petition your housing department to allow for an extra tank.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Maybe you could divide a 10g four ways? It's certainly big enough to hold a stable cycle, and that would leave 2.5g for each section which is reasonable. That way you'd have your three bettas and your roommate could have one as well.

I considered that, but she doesn't want a betta. She wants mollies, and I know the tank definitely isn't big enough for three bettas and a couple mollies.

Also, I don't know how your school operates but I used to be an RA which meant I did room inspections, and if something wasn't in plain sight (ie it was covered) we couldn't uncover it to check it out. So if you're willing to bend the rules, and if your school does things the same as mine, you and your roommate could have a 'legitimate' 5g tank each (or even the 10g divided three ways), and then you would also bring an extra tank (or heck, two if you have the space) and cover it with a towel/box/stuff it in a closet when inspections come around.

I don't know if they tell you when room inspections are or not... I don't want to push any limits and get either of us in trouble. She was considering asking if she could just bring a small tank, but I don't think they'll let her.

Most RAs or student leaders are fine with bending the rules if you're reasonable about it, in my experience. And an extra fish tank with well-cared-for fish is a much lesser concern than some of the things I've seen students try and have in their rooms, let me tell you. Or go the above-board route, and petition your housing department to allow for an extra tank.
She and I were both under the impression that we could each have a 10 gallon tank, because on the list of what to bring and what's not allowed, it said no pets, only fish that can fit inside a 10 gallon tank. I asked about it, and they said I could bring a 10 gallon, but they didn't say one 10 gallon per room. :( I had to clarify that later on, and found out it was only one. I don't want to have to give up one or two of my three, but I may have to. That, or leave them home. Thankfully, I have a friend that loves fish and she said she would take one of them for me. I even offered to supply her with a tank for him/her.

Another thing I was considering though, was maybe buying three Minibow 2.5s? That would be 7.5 gallons, which would leave 2.5 for her, and I believe she already has a 2.5 Minibow at home. But that also means I need to buy two new heaters, since the one in my 10 gallon won't fit in a 2.5. I guess it is a better idea than having to give one or two up though.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

There are a lot of really pretty 2.5 gallons out there. I love the thread on smaller tanks. Shows peoples' ingenuity. I say go for it.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
There are a lot of really pretty 2.5 gallons out there. I love the thread on smaller tanks. Shows peoples' ingenuity. I say go for it.
The only problem with that is I need 3 2.5 tanks that come with a lighted hood and a filter... One I can somehow baffle too, because I do have a baby betta, and an older betta that isn't too fond of the current. My female doesn't seem to care at all. She likes fighting it.

Right now, Baby is still small enough that he could probably stay in his KK for a while longer, and he doesn't have any live plants in his tank except for a bamboo stick. The other two have loads of live plants which I want to put in the new tank, but I need a tank with a hood for that. I want something cheap too, since I do have to buy three of them, and I need two new heaters too...
Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Could you get take the 3 gallon and divide a 5? I doubt they'd know the difference between a 3 and a 2.5. Besides, there's not 8 gallons of water in those tanks. If you have something in the 5 gallons you could transfer them to the divided 10. Just some thoughts.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Could you get take the 3 gallon and divide a 5? I doubt they'd know the difference between a 3 and a 2.5. Besides, there's not 8 gallons of water in those tanks. If you have something in the 5 gallons you could transfer them to the divided 10. Just some thoughts.
That's true... Maybe I'll do that. I would like to be able to have the Minibows at some point, but I guess that could be a short term alternative. Thanks. :)
Old 05-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Yvw.