Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #11 
Lilemm920

Okay thank you, I will do the daily water changes and keep up with his medicine. He was looking pretty tired this morning and his fins are still all torn up but his fungus is going away so hopefully once that's all gone he'll perk back up. It seemed to be weighing him down. However, he still isn't eating yet.
Lilemm920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #12 
Lilemm920

He's looking a little better already from the aquarium salt. I found a different medicine by API that treats both fungal and bacterial diseases so I'm going to try that tomorrow when I give him his fresh water. I also got freeze dried bloodworms to see if he'd eat something more appealing but I still had no luck, but ill see how it goes. Hopefully he'll be eating soon.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #13 
Lilemm920

I forgot to mention, the new medicine is called "pimafix".
Old 05-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #14 
Pearl2011

Pimafix is anti-fungal so that should should work. I haven't used it but I'm sure someone here has tried it. Don't use Melafix since that can harm bettas.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #15 
Starfish1

Hi,

Glad to hear he's looking okay! You need to finish a full course of the first medication though before you try any other medications otherwise the fin rot that you see going away will come back. Ive made this mistake myself and lost a fish. So four full doses of the one you started with and then re evaluate.

I'd stay away from the pimafix because anything ending with -fix is not a true medication it's just an oil similar to tea trea oil, and that can coat a betta's labarynth organ (what they use to breathe) and can suffocate them. So I'd stick with what you're doing, do the full 4 days, the aquarium salt and the daily water changes. If you see that the fungus is going away that's a good sign. Sometimes it's temping when a fish is sick to get all different medications and throw them all in to help the little fish get better but too much medication or mixing two medications together is bad and can hurt them rather than helping. And it's so important to finish the full course of antibiotics.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacterial infection, discolored, discolored scales, fin rot, lethargic