Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #11 
Mankey

A picture of her tank, and a picture of her (I just barely managed to get a light bulb for my reading lamp which will now be used to light up my tank).

You might not be able to tell, but I'm having a bit of a snail problem that I hope won't affect my sorority (but if it will, I'll have to fix that soon).

Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #12 
Mankey

Quick update! I have bought small 1 gallon containers (or I think they were 1 gallon, they're 7.75x6.75x4.75) with lids for each of them (5)! Also, I have stopped by that fish store and was delighted to see them still selling females! Not much color variation, but I decided to buy 4 of them anyways. 2 were red, and 2 were white with redish purple tails, all crowntails I believe. I also bought them an Anacharis to float around. I plan to set up their qt tanks (and take pictures) when I get home. :D I should also qt Violet to avoid having her be territorial, right?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #13 
Mankey

I decided to float them in Violet's tank partially so they can start warming up to the water temperature of the tank rather than the colder water of their bag, and partially so I can see how Violet would react to seeing other females.

Now, of course Violet reacted like you would expect any territorial fish who just saw 4 others of its type enter its territory; she swam around the bag, flared, and sometimes seemed to try to attack them. I don't know what I'm going to name each one of them, though. I know for sure I'm naming the reddest one (who was also the bully of the bag on my way home) Scarlett, since she'll probably be the one who will try to defeat Violet for the Alpha status, so they should both have color names. Would it be a problem that Violet is also larger than the others, though? I didn't think she would be, but she totally is. I'm hoping that 4 smaller betta fish versus 1 larger one will make it so the odds are against Violet, making her pick on them less often.

... also, if I'm posting too much on this topic (especially in a row), please tell me so because I kinda feel like I am.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #14 
Fishy Mom

I find that size is only one part of it. Sometimes the ones you worry about being picked on end up being the alphas. My bigger girls are more of the peace keepers in the tank. They only fight if one of the other girls are terrorizing all the other girls & they will offer comfort to girls being bullied by swimming near them until things calm down.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #15 
Lost Eventide

My two completely red girls both came to the tank smaller (the first one has grown since then, and is now the same size as most of the others, but the new one is still tiny - and adorable! <3 I just love her) and I didn't have any problems with size difference. Actually, the newer red female did not receive any tears in her fins at all, whereas some of the larger ones did get quite a few nips, so I think they were just more likely to avoid confrontation all together.

I had another smaller one - a multicolor crowntail - that was feisty as heck though, and initially she was one of the most aggressive females in my tank, but has since calmed down, so, as Fishy Mom said, size is really only part of it. The temperament itself is much more important. Some of my larger ones are also some of my most mellow. My alpha girl is one of the largest in the tank, but she only shows aggression when someone else starts something with her usually.
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #16 
Mankey

Out of all the girls I have, this girl happens to appear to be the laziest and most depressed. She just floats there in one corner and occasionally reaches up for a breath of air, and refuses to eat. Should I be concerned? I've already changed her water, but she's still acting like that.

... Or I just saw her swim a little bit, but she does move around sometimes, anyway. What should I do? Is it normal? If I could get an answer quicker it'd be better, since I'm about to go to Petco to buy more water conditioner.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

She looks really unhappy. What is the temperature of the water, and do you have the ability to test the water quality just to rule two of the most basic things out.

Otherwise, if you get a really bright flashlight/torch, can you see any signs of external parasites on her. Velvet looks like dust over the body of the fish, while ich looks more like salt. These can both cause clamping and lethargy.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #18 
Mankey

Temperature's around 79 degrees F. I was going to bring the water to Petco, but it sorta slipped my mind until I got to Petco.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #19 
Mankey

Could it be possible that she's just not handling the move from her old tank quite as well as the others are? She did used to be in a pretty long tank, with the water level being a lot lower than the top of the tank (which I'm pretty sure shouldn't have been much of a problem, since I think vertical space is what matters), and now she's stuck in a one gallon container. I could understand how that could be stressful, even though the others don't appear to be very stressed about it. I've already bought Stress Coat (saved money in the long run by buying the 16 oz bottle instead of the 4 oz!) as my next water conditioner, so hopefully that will do her well.

As for the other girls, they seem to be doing fine. They're all eating and swimming around their containers. I think I've already figured out their order of aggressiveness, so I know the order I'm releasing them in!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #20 
Mankey

It was most likely ammonia. I took a sample of her water to Petco today and found out that it had between .5 to 1 ppm of ammonia. The guy didn't show me the other stuff, he just said they were "good." But yeah, I bought ammonia detoxifier and put it into her water. Hopefully it'll help her out. She was looking worse today.