Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of that amount of ammonia is to do a 100% water change. Don't add 'detoxifying chemicals'. You really need to get that ammonia down to 0ppm with water changes, not just mask it with chemicals.

If you are having issues with ammonia, I would advise purchasing your own test kit. At that level you could lose your female if she is exposed to it long enough.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #22 
peachii

You might want to get your tap water tested and see if it is coming out with any ammonia in it because didn't you say you just did a 100% water change? if she is in the QT 1 gallon and just had a 100% water change, she shouldn't have had any ammonia in there that fast.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #23 
Mankey

It was a "majority" water change, and some of the water that was in there came from the main tank. But just now I emptied it out and did a 100% water change. I shouldn't have just tried to mask it with chemicals.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #24 
Mankey

2 100% water changes a week (just until they're ready to be released) should be okay, right? Or would that be too much?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

How big are the tanks you have them in now? Also did you have your tap water tested for ammonia just to make sure that it was okay?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #26 
Mankey

Everywhere I've checked has said around 1 gallon. They're 6.75 x 7.75 x 4.75 (the 6.75 is the height). I haven't had the chance to check. I haven't had someone who could give me a ride there all day.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #27 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah that is giving me around 1.1 gallons when I punched it into the aquarium volume calculator.

The sticky with OFL's water change recommendations suggests two 50% and one 100% water change on a tank that size. However, every tank is different and so you may need to tweak it depending on how your females respond. As you have seen, there is often a difference in behaviour when fish are exposed to even low levels of ammonia, so keep any eye out for any clamping, heavy breathing, lethargy and scratching.

Of course, if you are able to pick up an ammonia test kit that would make things easier.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #28 
Mankey

Yeah, I was waiting until I could afford the whole Master Test Kit, but this is pretty urgent and my problem lies in the ammonia anyway. I'm going to try picking up an ammonia test kit from an LFS near my school after school.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #29 
LittleBettaFish

Sounds like a plan. I usually only use my ammonia test kit anyway and sometimes my pH one. If you are cycling a tank the others are useful, but if for the moment all you have are uncycled tanks it makes sense to just pick up the ammonia one.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #30 
Mankey

That's a good point. I may wind up starting another tank for shrimps eventually, but I don't have to worry about that. Plus pH should remain about the same as long as I avoid adding anything that will change the pH and using a different water source, right?