Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #1 
thegoverner

Seeking HELP desperately!!! :*(

Hi all, I truly wish I was joining this site under better circumstances ! :( my beloved fish Philip, aka the governer is very ill and I am super stressed and upset about it. Seeing him suffer is killing me :((( please if anyone can help , offer advice..or give me some ideas of what is wrong with him and how to help him I would greatly appreciate it. This poor fish lived for 2 years in someone's one gallon bowl at approx 65 degrees , with no plants or caves or anything ... To see him end this way would be awful because he had so much life when I took him home 3 months ago

What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank?75
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 large apple snails and lots of nuisance snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega betta flakes , or omega pellets when he will eat them
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change whenou perform a water change? 50
What type itives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Only sK
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Nitrite: Nitrate: pH: Hardness: Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Some silver on his head now, gills seem enlarged, scales seem to be slightly raised
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? For the last two days he lays on the bottom of the tank :( sometimes coming up and swimming frantically before sinking back down. Won't eat, appears to be constantly gasping
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? No
If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2
thegoverner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Welcome to the site! Many of us join because our fish are having problems.....

Does he looks a little bloated? When you view him from overhead, does it look like his scales are sticking out? Was he completely OK until two days ago?

If his scales are sticking out, this is called pineconing. Unfortunately, pineconing often occurs when fish are really ill, and may indicate that his internal organs are shutting down.

Can you post photos of him? A photo from overhead could be very helpful.

Here is a photo with a fish that has extreme pineconing:

LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #3 
thegoverner

Name:  100MEDIA36IMAG1365.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  100MEDIA36IMAG1361.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  41.9 KB

Thanks for replying! Tthese are the best I could get! My little gut :/
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Poor little guy....

Epsom salt may help. It has a laxative effect (in both people and fish), so it reduces fluid retention and bloating.

Can you move him to a small tank or bowl? It will be easier to treat him in something like that. Also, it would allow you to reduce the water level, so he won't have to swim as far to reach the surface.

There are many ways to do acclimate (reintroduce) your fish into the tank that contains Epsom salt treated water. Here is one variation:

Day 1:
  1. Note the temperature of his current tank water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Fill a 1 gallon just with water at the SAME temp as his current water. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon of water.
    For example: 1 gal tank = add 1 teaspoon Epsom salt.
    2.5 gal tank = add 2.5 teaspoons Epsom salt.
    Etc....
  5. Stir until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  6. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  7. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  8. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  9. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  10. Repeat steps 5-7, until an hour (or more) has passed.
  11. Gently release him into the tank.

The next day:
  1. Fill a 1 gallon just with water at the SAME temp as his current water. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  2. Add 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt to the gallon of water.
  3. Remove 50% of the water from his hospital tank.
    Ie: In a 1 gal tank, remove 0.5 gal. Etc.
  4. Using the new water, add back half the amount of water removed.
    Ie: In a 1 gal tank, add back 0.25 gal. Etc.
  5. Wait 10-15 min.
  6. Using the new water, add back the rest of the water. This should bring the water level back to its original volume.

Day 3: Repeat the procedure for day 2. (50% water change using Epsom salt treated water at a dosage of 3 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon of conditioned water.)

Every other day for 10-14 days: Follow the same procedure above to do 50% water changes using Epsom salt at a dosage of 3 teaspoons/gal.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-24-2013 at 11:05 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #5 
thegoverner

Okay, I will buy some tomorrow and begin the regimin :/ if you zoom in on the first pic I realized you can see that indeed the scales do seem to be pretty raised. I feel like I noticed this a few months ago when I got him , but thought I was being paranoid..of course it was much less noticeable then :( he is my first betta and I didn't know about dropsy. Do you believe that is what he is suffering from ? My initial thought was ammonia poisoning but his gills are not red . Thank you for your advice , ill do whatever it takes.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #6 
thegoverner

Well, when I woke up this morning the first thing I did was go into the kitchen and check on Philip. He was gone :( in a sense I am relieved because I no longer have to watch him suffering, but I am very sad :( does anyone know what may have caused his health to deteriorate ? I feel awful and I would not want another fish to go through that too :/ I just hope it wasn't something caused by me .
Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I am very sorry to hear about Philip, he's swimming happily under the rainbow bridge now though, no longer suffering.

From the symptoms and the sudden onset it does look like it was Dropsy that took him, in which case it was nothing you did. I believe that it is kidney failure if I remember correctly and sometimes you can save them, but most of the time when it sets in that quickly there is nothing you can do about it.

So don't worry, you gave him all you could, it was just his time to go.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #8 
Corsica

Maybe it was just age. They don't stick around as long as we want them to. SIP Philip.
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #9 
thegoverner

Thank you guys for the kind words , knowing he is not suffering anymore is relieving ..he is at peace.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #10 
Bettafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica View Post
SIP Philip.
I see what you did there :D yoda.

But back on subject. Aslong as you follow the Epson salt treatment Something will happen. Id rather say its something to do internal. Because I had the same problem once.

The people here will really try their best to help you. just follow everything they say and you should see improvement :)
Goodluck Philip!
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote