Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #1 
Lisaproy

Scratch on New Bettas Body? Help!

Hey everyone my name is Lisa. This is my first post! I recently had an outbreak of ick and due to the loss of my male betta I purchased a new Male Half Moon Betta. This betta is a beautiful steel blue and when I bought him he wouldn't flare and just sat at the bottom of the cup. I decided to take him home as he still looked young and probably just needed some love. I've had him 3 days now. So far I have learned that he is probably a she with abnormally long fins for a female (has egg spot) but i haven't seen stripes yet so its still confusing. I have also noticed a strange scratch on its body. Kinda like a cat scratch. It also won't eat (had a few pieces today like 3) still sits around but is more active then it was. Anyone know what this could be? He's also really really skittish. My other betta sits in my hand but was never this scared at first. Should I do something for him or should I just wait? And what can cause a scratch like that? Hope someone has time to help me out here! The store doesnt seem to have very healthy fish...

Housing
What size is your tank? 5gal
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 f
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta food( same as pet store fed him)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 daily (been only feeding him once though and he only ate today first time 3-4 pellets)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? His water has been changed once to remove the old water.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50 depends on the reason usually 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner, salt, biological stuff at first.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0-.25 (third day in this tank)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0-5 ppm
pH: 7.2
Hardness: 25-75 ppm (soft)
Alkalinity: 40-80 ppm (moderate)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Scratch has been there since i bought him. First it looked smaller though...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hes not super active (just looked at him an hes sitting on top of his filter resting about 1-2 cm to the surface.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Shortly after i bought him home.
Have you started treating your fish? No If so, how? Nothing
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Dont know
How old is your fish (approximately)? They said 6-8 months they had no idea!
Thanks for all your help!
Lisaproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #2 
LostxinthexMusic

Don't know what could have caused the scratch, but if that's all it is, adding API Stress Coat + should help it heal up nicely.

However, considering his behavior, I'm inclined to think it's something else. Pictures would help to see if he's exhibiting any other symptoms that might give a clue. I'd still suggest the stress coat, though, to heal that cut.
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #3 
Lisaproy

Thanks ill have to pick something up. The pet store here is useless they all give me 10 heads when i mention how big a tank should be... I can post a pic but you cant even see the scratch hes/shes so dark. Ive looked it over a million times and theres no other signs of anything just this scratch across one side of his body. The scratch is dark blue like his body so i think it may be healing and bothering him... I dunno. Im thinking he was traumatized in the store. I've had bettas before and i have a 10 gal with a betta and a swordtail I have never experienced such a scared fish. He looked really mean when i got him too. His eyes. Thats after changing a bit and he does seem to reconise me now but very jumpy even if i put my finger on the glass or move too quick. Ill have to keep an eye on him i guess. Thanks for your response though! Much appreciated!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #4 
LostxinthexMusic

Well, as long as the scratch heals, hopefully his weird behavior is just a temporary personality thing, and once he adjusts to his new home, he'll be okay. Best of luck!
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #5 
Lisaproy

Ya. If it doesnt stop ill be back lol