Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #1 
James

new tank

hi im James and ive had my betta for about 3 months and I was going to buy him something along the lines of a 3 gallon so I can give him a little mini heater n stuff,

right now hes in a 2 gallon glass bowl.

any suggestions on what kinda setup I should get this tank? where I should buy it?

5 gallons is okay too but I don't want anything above, im gettin a 36 gallon for my cichlids and i need space
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #2 
James

okay lol don't even post if unless its cooler than this lol, which I don't beleive is possible

Desktop & Small Aquarium Starter Kits: Picotope 3 Gallon Aquarium Kit
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #3 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Yep, it's very cool. But if you're going to house a betta in it better get a top as bettas can and will jump!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:03 AM   #4 
iamntbatman

I think your best bet would be to buy a 5.5g glass aquarium from a pet store. They sell for $11 or $12 and come with a glass top.

Then you could order this filter ($7.99)
Power Filter for Small & Desktop Aquariums: Azoo Palm Filter
This heater (the 25W version @ $15.29):
Aquarium Heaters: Visi-Therm Stealth Heater

You could get a simple strip light from Home Depot or even use a desk lamp to save on lighting costs, or if you're interested in live plants you could always get something like this:
Mini Aqualight Double (Freshwater) (ESU)

Last edited by iamntbatman; 10-21-2008 at 12:19 PM.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #5 
s72450

Your little guy will love you for getting him a bigger tank. I recently upgraded to a 5g tank for my Jack and he's like a new fish, constantly exploring the tank and swimming all over the place. I liked the tank so much that I talked my boss into getting a bigger tank for the betta we have at work, poor thing has been kept in a 1g ever since we got him. He's fairly large now since we've had him for over seven months. I've been setting up the new tank all last week and plan to move him over today.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #6 
MADxMAC771

I just made the exact same change for my betta. I moved him from a small bowl to a 2.5 gallon tank. I bought a simple marineland 2.5 gallong tank, a 9 dollar Tetra Whisper Filter (for 1-3 gallon), a thermometer, some plants, some stained glass marbles for substrate and im getting a heater today. Im guessing the total cost will be about 30 dollars. Its plenty of room for him. Make sure that you dont have the new tank at a different temperature from his bowl when you make the switch, keep them about the same and then heat up the tank slowly.

On another note, I had to hide the thermometer from my betta. He kept attacking it, im assuming due to its bright red tip.
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #7 
Kim

[quote=iamntbatman;148537]I think your best bet would be to buy a 5.5g glass aquarium from a pet store. They sell for $11 or $12 and come with a glass top.

Then you could order this filter ($7.99)
Power Filter for Small & Desktop Aquariums: Azoo Palm Filter
This heater (the 25W version @ $15.29):
Aquarium Heaters: Visi-Therm Stealth Heater[quote]

That is almost the EXACT setup I have for my betta! My heater is a slightly different model, but wow , we think alike! Right as I read the post I was going to suggest this, and then I read yours!

I love my setup and would recommend it to anyone.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote