Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #11 
CJank

Thanks for your suggestions! I actually ended up with a Marineland 6 gallon tank today but now that I have a chance to look at reviews they are all horrible so I think I am going back tomorrow for this one instead http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752372&lmdn=Fish+Aquariums+%2 6amp%3B+Bowls&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo
. Do you think I would still have to baffle this one?
CJank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #12 
LizbethDawn

Yeesh that's a steep price. Wal Mart has a 5 gallon setup that comes with a heater and filter that hs an adjustable flow so you won't need a baffle.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...-Pets/20693704
The low setting is literally a tiny trickle. If you're careful you can get it to a medium setting that seems like it's ok for bettas.

Last edited by LizbethDawn; 05-27-2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: More info
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'd go with what Lizbeth is suggesting, 50 dollars is still kind of steep, but if you have the money and you want it, go for it!

I particularly like Wal-Marts set up because it's an LED hood (I really just like LED's lol), it's rectangular which is nice because it can pretty much sit anywhere and yes you can baffle the filter! But I've also never had it so I can't comment too much on the adjustable heater.

Also here are two tanks that have gotten good reviews around here, especially the second one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/17480272

Both a filters that I know you can baffle, all you need is a good heater of which I recommend this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368 the 25 Watt one is great and that's the cheapest I've found it online :D

But back to your question, the tank says that it has an internal filter which could be a few didn't things since it doesn't exactly specify what kind of filter it actually is. I have a feeling you might be able to do the sponge baffle, but I'm not entirely sure.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #14 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have a Marineland crescent 5g & never used the filter, I put a sponge filter in the tank. Actually I've put sponge filters in all of my 10g or less tanks I like them so much better than the HOB's or internal filters.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #15 
CJank

The filter for this one is one that just hangs off the back, its like a rectangle. Ill be sure to ask at Petsmart. It does have a hood too it just a sheer plastic piece across the top. Ill keep your suggestions in mind but in the end I am being a little superficial with looks of the tank since I plan on keeping it and want it to look nice as well as work great.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh certainly! It always comes down to just what you like :) We can suggest all we want, but it's whatever You want and it does look nice!

Okay so that one hangs on the back? You should be able to just an AquaClear foam/sponge and rubberband it on to help with the flow :)
Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #17 
LizbethDawn

The heater on that tank I suggested in kinda meh. It's one of those preset to keep the tank at 78 and mine actually stopped working last night so I would get a different one if you get that but otherwise it's a nice set up.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #18 
CJank

SO I did end up getting that tank I last posted but went with the ten gallon one because it was made of glass and was a better deal since PetSmart gave me a discount for all my stress, that was awesome. 90 dollar tank for 50 bucks. The filtration seems really calm and the PetSmart employees didnt think it would be a problem but I still might baffle it.

Anyways I do wonder now about a bubbler in there because I have it all set up and running before I put my fishy in. It runs strong enough that I am finding it annoying so I am wondering if that that would bother my betta and that I should just loose the bubbler all together. I'd keep the decoration though of course, its a dragon lol
Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #19 
LizbethDawn

That discount is beyond awesome! You can always put him in when it's ready and see if either thing bothers him and fix them if they do.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I'd loose the bubbler. Betta fish like a nice calm surface (hence we baffle our filters as well) so those bubbles are just going to annoy the heck out of him and possibly lead to tail biting and stuff of the like.

That's a great deal though! I'm impressed! What kind of a scene did you make so I can copy it and get a great discount myself? haha