Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #1 
Fishfer

Is she full of...eggs?

We recently purchased a female betta, (about 3 weeks ago), and the past couple of days she has been looking much fatter, and has also been acting differently. Today in particular, she has been highly energetic, FAR more than usual, swimming almost constantly, quickly, not resting...she seems to be more aggressive, staring at us and puffing up a lot, and has an almost insatiable appetite. She's like a different fish. She's like a pregnant woman ;)
I'm definitely a novice fish keeper, so if anyone could offer any suggestions as to what may be going on with her, I'd appreciate it. Should I be worried? Is she just full of eggs?
I tried to take photos of her, but she is in almost constant movement, so I was unable to get a great shot. Ugh! Just tried to upload photos but can't seem to get it done on a mobile.
Btw, if it is important, she is in a 10 gallon aquarium.
Thank you on advance! :)
Fishfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sounds like she might be, do you know if she was in sight of another male when you got her or is she now?

Generally either she is going to expel the eggs and most likely eat them (in that time, don't feed her) or she'll reabsorb them and get slimmer again. But she'll be fine :)

For good pictures, try feeding her and snap a picture while she's eating, she should stay still long enough to get a picture hopefully haha I know my girls are just as energetic so it's a rarity when I get a clear photo!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #3 
Fishfer

Thank you so much for your reply!
Yes, I believe her tiny cup was next to males in tiny cups at the pet store (i wish I could take them all home and provide more spacious living arrangements for them.) :(
But she is our only fish, so she hasn't seen any other fish, other than her own reflection on the glass.
But my 3 year old chose her over all of the other fish and just loves her. She'd be so sad if something happened to her, so I wanted to be sure the fish is ok.
Thank you again for your response and tip for snapping a good photo of her :). I will try that.
Fishfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No problem! Yeah, most likely she was just beginning to get eggy while she was at the store and then just continued when she got home but she should start to slim down soon since she's no longer in sight of a male unless she's got some sort of identity complex where she thinks her reflection is a male lol, no worries though, it won't hurt her :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote