Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #1 
kvw1988

How to tell age

Hey Guys,

I've had my betta for about six or seven months now and I was just wondering if there was anyway to tell his age. I think he's a little bit older because when I got him he was about twice as big as the other males he was next to. I also think he might have had a previous owner because on his caudal tail it looks like he had fin rot at some point that has healed, but grew back a little misshapen. He's pretty active, he usually comes to see me and he does swim a lot but he doesn't really blow bubble nests anymore. He's in a heated, non filtered, semi planted 5 gallon, with weekly partial water changes, by himself so I'm pretty sure he's a happy guy. I'm just wondering if he's starting to slow down a bit, thus not making bubble nests.

kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #2 
jona31

my betta is the youngest male betta i own he never makes bubble nests but he's always extremely happy i dont think bubble nest action shows you how old youre betta is hmmmm a real stumpe ill get back to you on that
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #3 
Juditko

This is a great question...never seen it discussed here yet. Signing up for the thread so I get to see what our Jedi members think...
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Unfortunately as far as I can tell and know, once they hit a certain age it's very difficult to tell their age until they get into "old age" around 2-3 years, sometimes lucky Betta's can get to 5 years! In which case they can get to be about 2 inches just in body size, generally their color will fade a little more whey they hit old age.

And yeah, bubble nests are not a good way to show age as many of my young mature Betta's don't even make them. I've actually only had three Betta's out of all, alive and dead, that have made nests.

That's just what I know, I'm sure other's know plenty more though about this topic, probably some breeders ;-D

And lol to this quote! "We are but padawan's to our Jedi Betta Knights!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
This is a great question...never seen it discussed here yet. Signing up for the thread so I get to see what our Jedi members think...
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #5 
kvw1988

I'm glad the bubble nests don't indicate age! I was a little worried about him. I'm hoping he's only two, his color is still pretty vibrant but he does have spots where it lookd like scalrs are missing especially around hid face, but he's always had that. Like i said he's active and acts happy. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Here's a neat little article about aging Betta's and how to take care of them once they do hit that age: http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/aging-bettas/
Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #7 
kvw1988

Awesome, thank you :) Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I'm out of town and have to use my phone lol
Old 05-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Not a problem, it's still readable haha
Old 05-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #9 
kvw1988

Just got home and read the article, going off of that I would say his middle aged.