Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #1 
xShainax

Got into a fight about tank size

One of my sisters friends called me an abuser since I have 4 betta's in their own 2.5 gallon tanks and two in 1 gallon tanks. She said they should all be in 5 gallon tanks. I believe a gallon is the smallest you can go for betta tank sizes
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Wow... 1g is absolutely fine (with the proper care), do not listen to her.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #3 
Riverotter

LOL, show her a video of a betta farm in Thailand where your fish were probably born. They grow up in whiskey bottles. Maybe her head will explode.

Seriously, just refuse to engage. Throughout your life (OMG, wait till you have kids - it's UNBELIEVABLE what people will say) you will run into these type of folks in many situations. Just say something like "It's interesting that you think so." and walk away
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

I understand her critique. I suggest minimum 2.5 g to customers at work, and I have a personal minimum of 2.5 g. I think of it as, if I was going to live my life in this tank would I be okay with it. I could probably easily spend 3+ years never leaving my house if people brought me food and cared for me. I think of that size as comparable to a 5 g or 10 g. But, I don't think I could spend 3+ years never leaving my room. It would be too small. I think of that as the anything smaller than 5 g (which I do have one in a 2.5 g, but in larger tanks he tail bites).

I understand that space constraints make it difficult or impossible to have larger tanks. And, I wouldn't knock someone for having a 1 g. But, at the same time I do think it's too small for my preference and my comfort.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #5 
xShainax

If I had enough room, I would have the two in 1 gallons in 2.5 gallons.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #6 
percyfyshshelley

I'm sure your fish in 1 gallon tanks are happy and well cared for!
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #7 
sainthogan

My hubby would probably agree with her. My male had a 3 gallon tank for a short time until I could get him into a 5 gallon. During that short period with the 3 gallon my hubby kept saying it was too small and that once I get the 5 gallon that I needed to dispose of the 3 gallon because all of our Bettas would only live in 5 gallon tanks from then on because anything smaller is a prison. Well, I kept the 3 gallon tank anyway for a "just in case" tank.
sainthogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #8 
Fin Fancier

While I worry about my fish in 1 gallon tanks, I wouldn't call it torture or anything like that. My only problem is the lack of room to decorate, I like to give my bettas hidey holes and such, but by the time you've put a cave and a plant or two and the betta can barely move about. Give me a nice five gallon to decorate any day.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #9 
Akuinnen

I have two bettas I bought at the same time; one in a 10 gallon and one a 2.5 gallon, and after a year of noticing how much less active the betta in the small tank is, I'm pretty convinced that 2.5 isn't enough space, especially if there are plants/decorations, etc. My 10 gal betta really seems to flourish - he moves around much more and occasionally chases or flares at the tetras in his tank. However, my 2.5 betta never flares and the only time I see him swimming around is in the mornings when the sun comes out.

I feel like a 2.5 isn't *bad*, but I don't think it's enough space for bettas to really thrive. I'm planning on moving mine into a 5 gallon within a month.

Last edited by Akuinnen; 06-19-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Akuinnen is offline   Reply With Quote