Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #1 
LizbethDawn

Question Moving with fish. Doing it right?

So I am about to do a cross country move (GA to CA) with roughly 14 fish. I know I'm crazy.

I just wanted to get my plan out here and see if anyone can add to it or help improve it .

I've got brand new large, clean tupperware and we stop every night because my Dad insists on it. So I'll load them up with water from their tanks and have a couple gallon jugs of water from the house here that's pretreated with stress coat+ (and maybe some safe start?). The tupperware is the kind that stacks and the bottom of one will lock into the top of the one under it so I figure lock them together like that and put them in a box with some heat packs and blankets for insulation. I'm hoping the dark will keep them calm.
When we stop at night I can take them all out, feed them a tiny bit if they'll eat, do 100% water changes, then pack them back up and change the heat packs as needed. They aren't all bettas but they are all tropical fish.

For the tanks I was going to leave just enough water in to cover the gravel and I'll have to do new filter pads but I figure between the old gravel and tetra safe start they should be good?

Lots of thanks in advance for any help or just telling me I'm on the right track. This probably the part of my move that I'm the most stressed about.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #2 
tilli94

The only thing I would think of is how long the oxygen in their containers would last. I've heard people say that bettas need oxygen more often but not how much more often they need I don't know. I don't know if that's true but I'd look a little into that. If you already have good job lol
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #3 
LizbethDawn

I'm thinking since usually they do overnight/1 day shipping when you buy them as long as I fill them up just enough for the fish to be comfortable they'll have enough air. If not I can find a way to maybe put punctured tinfoil over them at night so I don't have any suicides and they get new air all night.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #4 
tilli94

When they ship don't they use the breather bags though? Unless they ship in just regular bags. I've never shipped fish so I don't know. You're probably right, it sounds like a good plan to me :)
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #5 
BettaNubRandyLove

Just leave the lid to the Tupperware open a crack. So air can circulate. When you are in a closed off space eventually you will run out of air. I'm not saying that will happen but it's better to be safe than sorry.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #6 
justmel

Recently I read a thread about some Thailand farms and how the air is cut off to the bettas most of the day. It's speculated that the bettas can survive this because they get fresh air introduced to their bottles (or whatever) every night. While it's not good to keep bettas piled on top of each other because they can't get fresh air, if you leave enough air in the dishes I believe they should be fine with you opening up the tupperware every night and letting fresh air in. If you can it might still be a good idea to cover them with tinfoil or plastic wrap at night so they have more chance to breath and for the air to circulate and stay fresh.

I don't know any of this for fact, but from what I have read and learned myself I think you will be fine.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #7 
LizbethDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli94 View Post
When they ship don't they use the breather bags though? Unless they ship in just regular bags. I've never shipped fish so I don't know. You're probably right, it sounds like a good plan to me :)
I have no idea what breather bags are I just always assumed they were normal bags.

Thanks for the replies I feel a little better about how I'm doing things now.