Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #1 
SeaKnight

Is it Possible???

Ok, I have had SeaKnight for approximately 1 month now and am not sure on his age as he is a rescue, over the course of the past couple of days I have noticed he is not as active during the day as he "appeared" to be in the beginning (although he never really was very active)... Is It possible that he is just older and/or just a night owl???? I have tried searching the threads for warning signs of illness, but truthfully can not make heads nor tails of the information.. I do much better when I have visual aids to help, but can not get a clear shot of him for comparison...
SeaKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It is possible, here is an article to help identify if he might be older: http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/aging-bettas/

Although I find that some of my Betta's just get into a "mood" and get lazy for a while just because they can. So that might be what's going on :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #3 
sainthogan

My male is most active at night. I know this because when I go to bed, there are no bubble nests. When I wake up, bam, huge bubble nests. Then he sleeps all day unless it's feeding time.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol then he's probably just a night owl and doesn't like the lights ^^

Suggest getting him some more plant cover, he might not feel safe if there are too many open areas out in the light.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #5 
SeaKnight

Thank you, I believe that it is just that he may not have enough "open area" cover, as he appears healthy overall... hmmmmmmmm now where to get more plants??? Not having much luck with the ones from my previous supplier.... they keep melting!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Plants will melt when they are introduced to new water, it's going to happen no matter what, but they will come back after a while once they get used to the water. Plants also have to acclimate like our fish do :)

However if the plant turns brown and just withers away, then it died, not melted. Many plants like Java Ferns, Crypts, Swords and plants like those will melt their leaves and grow new ones in afterwards.

But you could order plants from online if you wanted, I use ThatPetPlace.com and they've always been super nice and will contact you if anything is wrong with their order or if they don't have the plant in stock anymore, stuff like that. And the shipping prices aren't too bad, it's like 12 dollars for priority, I never do the overnight/express shipping because it costs too much and there was no point since none of my plants were delicate lol.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #7 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Plants will melt when they are introduced to new water, it's going to happen no matter what, but they will come back after a while once they get used to the water. Plants also have to acclimate like our fish do :)

However if the plant turns brown and just withers away, then it died, not melted. Many plants like Java Ferns, Crypts, Swords and plants like those will melt their leaves and grow new ones in afterwards.

But you could order plants from online if you wanted, I use ThatPetPlace.com and they've always been super nice and will contact you if anything is wrong with their order or if they don't have the plant in stock anymore, stuff like that. And the shipping prices aren't too bad, it's like 12 dollars for priority, I never do the overnight/express shipping because it costs too much and there was no point since none of my plants were delicate lol.
Wow, thank you very much, it's just so frustrating to get a nice looking plant all set up the way you want and watch it dissolve, I know all good things are worth waiting for BUT, it's hard to not be impatient...LOL!!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKnight View Post
Wow, thank you very much, it's just so frustrating to get a nice looking plant all set up the way you want and watch it dissolve, I know all good things are worth waiting for BUT, it's hard to not be impatient...LOL!!!!
Haha yeah, I totally know what you mean ^^ Do you use liquid fertilizers at all? Or root tabs?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #9 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Haha yeah, I totally know what you mean ^^ Do you use liquid fertilizers at all? Or root tabs?
Truthfully, I really don't know what the name is, all I know is that it is a liquid that I was told to apply once a week..... Are there any specific supplements and/or plants that you would suggest for a beginner like me??? Plants that work well together???
Old 05-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oooh, this is my favorite part, naming plants! lol I used to hate real plants until I found I had a green aquatic thumb XD

That's fine about the liquid fert though, pretty much any fertilizer will do. I use API LeafZone, it's great for all plants that get nutrients through their leaves like Water Wisteria, Watersprite, most Crypts, ferns and mosses. But for plants like Swords, those need root tabs because they get nutrients mostly from their roots, they'll have big root systems once they finally start to grow in your tank :)

I actually split my dosage in half for the fertlizier, so for my 10 gallon, instead of using the 5 mg's per week. I do 2.5 mg on Wednesday and the other 2.5 on Saturday, my plants seem to like this more because it's actually more food for them, more often. It's kind of like eating one huge meal during the week and then getting scraps from the garbage or eating two smaller meals during the week, I'd certainly choose the two smaller meals ^^

But as far as brands go, I've done well enough with my API LeafZone, I know SeaChem Flourish is another really good fertilizer. Just don't get Flourish Excel...SeaChem decided they wanted to be tricky on us, Excel is actually a CO2 supplement and you can easily overdose on that and kill your fish...which isn't the goal here lol.

And as far as plants go, I like the low light, low maintinence plants like Java Fern and Anubias. Both of those can actually grow on objects like rocks, driftwood, ornaments, your filter tubing if your really wanted to. Anubias can be planted just don't put the rhizome under the gravel, basically it's the part that the stems come out of.

Other fast growers like Water Wisteria, Anacharis (cold water plant but can be acclimated to higher temps), Cabomda and Vallisneria are great plants.

Cabomda usually likes a higher light setting but will grow in anything, it will just be a darker green is all. But all the plants I mentioned will work well together and you've got tall plants (Val, Anacharis and Cabomda can get tall), medium plants (Water Wisteria and Java Fern) and foreground plants (Anubias)

Also another plant that I absolutely love and is hard to kill (although will melt) is Water Sprite, I have a huge mother plant now that's 3 feet long (it's in my 33 gallon lol) and it can either float or be planted, but it grows fast and my Betta's absolutely love to play in it and they actually all sleep in their own plants, it's adorable ^^

EDIT: Sorry for the novel >< if something doesn't make sense go right ahead and ask about it lol